Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Patthecruiser: Southhampton to Florida

Patthecruiser
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Transatlantic Cruises

Southhampton to Florida

Sail Date: November 2009
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Southampton

The ship is still new and is in outstanding shape. As usual, RCCL keeps it spotless and the service was fantastic. The ship is quite massive but very easy to get around. We had a center cabin which really helped to speed up where we wanted to go. The crowd was older than I am used to but this type of cruise generally draws that type of crowd from what I am told, however, everyone was very friendly and ready to share their stories about past cruises.

Embarkation was flawless and we only waited 10 minutes to have our key in hand and walking on the ship. (can't say the same for getting off). In port we did not have any problems getting on and off the ship except in Le Havre, France. All of the tour buses arrived back about the same time from Paris and we had to wait approximately an hour in the cold and light rain...there were a few unhappy campers over that one, but that was the only wait for us getting back on the ship.

I had read that the weather varies More on this cruise and that was correct. We had everything in the range of cold rain to 80 degree sunshine, so if you do a transatlantic crossing in the winter, bring everything from jackets to swimming suits.

The entertainment was so so, but I expected that as you are not going to be able to switch acts around while you are in the middle of the ocean. Food was excellent as usual with RCCL, however, on the long cruises, I would have like to see different themes (i.e., German, Mexican, etc) for the lunch buffet like Princess does. However, it was still all good and good quality. Cannot say enough about the staff...all very friendly.

We went with six other people and all felt the same way. My wife and I got of the ship first in Florida and it was a madhouse in the terminal, however, it only took us about 30 minutes. One of our friends did not get off until about 10:00 am. They had to wait 3 hours to get through customs. Needless to say, they did not like ending the trip like that. GREAT CRUISE. Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Independence of the Seas 9294

We had a junior suite and it was fantastic. Other Junior suites are still quite small, and this was by far the largest that I have ever had. It had a walk in closet, full bath with shower and tub, full couch and chair with foot rest, massive balcony and still plenty of more room. Bedding was outstanding and climate control worked perfect.

2 hours to get to Paris and 2 hours back...it is a great City but you really only get about 5 hours there...not much when you are on the go trying to see everything.

Maderia was a fantastic experience....this was our biggest surprise. Beautiful island with great sea side cafes to sit and have a drink as you watch the people walk by.

(5)
Great city and a very scenic drive outside of town.
Read 205 Vigo Reviews