Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by snorkelman

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by snorkelman
Majesty of the Seas
Cabin Category: F1
        3-6 2.0
Rates 5+

Decent 3 day cruise
This was a nice 3 day cruise. If you are considering this ship for a first cruise or just to get away, it should fulfill your expectations. Overall, we were pleased.

My wife and I have cruised a lot. We stopped counting a couple years ago when we hit 20 cruises. This was the first cruise we brought our children on (5 year old twin girls). We are pleased with the decision.

Living in Florida, we can easily drive to any of the standard ports, so Miami wasn't a big deal, but since we have been to them all several times I can comment that Miami was the worst organized on our return. We arrived today (Monday) and so did another RCL ship. The port was an absolute zoo, and the parking was a fiasco. We have used this port with much larger ships and found it to be much smoother in the past.

Getting on-board was not much of a hassle, and we enjoyed a lunch before they opened the halls at 1pm for us to enter our cabin. The fares were dirt cheap, so we booked an oceanview and the girls loved it. We got one of the few cabins that had 4 beds. Two on the floor and two the folded down at night from the walls.

We had 5 suitcases and could easily stow them. The shower curtain is a pain, and I have forgotten about it because the last several cruises that we have been on were on newer ships that do not use the curtains any more.

The dining room is standard for an older ship, but the person who chose where to sit us made a terrible decision. While it was nice to meet the people who joined us at dinner, the fact remains that it was a table for 10, and my family was all identified as white caucasians. I specifically remember filling in the optional portion of the questionnaire to avoid any language issues. My wife and children do not speak Spanish, yet we were sat at a table with 6 others. While 4 of them made great efforts to engage us in English, the setting was predictably strained, and the 3rd night, only 2 of the group showed up, and they were the two who spoke no English at all.

Our kids use the Adventure Ocean program and liked it. Although one counselor appeared to be constantly grumpy, the rest were friendly and the kids enjoyed the program. We decided this short cruise would be a great way to get the kids to like AO because we are already booked for the Oasis in October 2010 and wanted the kids to not be clinging to us for 7 days. We are happy because the kids loved AO and they are looking forward to being in AO on the Oasis. The Majesty only offered one evening where the kids could eat with AO rather than us, so the kids were very bored in the dining room (even with the 6:15 seating and with coloring books). They much preferred the AO dinner (pizza and french fries).

The winds were 40 mph when we arrived in CoCo Cay, so the captain decided to not attempt tendering and we slowly made our way to Nassau, where we arrived that evening. So we were docked all night, so there was no ship movement the whole evening.

The pool-side events onboard were typical and fun. There really is a big difference between 7-10 day cruises and 3 day cruises. Not that either one is "better" just different. As an example, many many more people on 3 day cruises do not make much of an attempt to follow the dining room dress code, whereas on the 7-10 day cruises, there are many more people in compliance. Not that either one is bad, but maybe the cruise lines will eventually decide to completely do away with a formal night on the shorter cruises when so many people do not desire to wear formal clothes.

Our cabin toilet did not flush 80% of the time. This was obviously not pleasant, and calls to the purser's desk resulted in a worker doing something in a hidden door in the hallway which made the toilet flush, but 5 minutes later the toilet didn't flush again. Then unpredictably later in the day it did.

Of course these critiques were made on the comment cards, and I am making these looking back on every possible negative to write down, but I still feel this was a n enjoyable cruise, but simply a different feel from a longer cruise.

I used the gym, and while on the small side (given my experience of larger ships) it was just fine for the number of people on this ship. I use free weights and also the cardio equipment and even machines, so I got a good feeling. They do not have ellipticals and have a sign explaining that they don't because of the short ceiling in the gym. I noted that the freeweights went up to 100 pound dumbbells, which is nice because many cruise gyms only have them to 75 or 80 pounds. They had 3 adjustable benches, which were adequate for the time that I was in the gym.

Oh yeah, a lot of people made comments about the ship looking "worn" but that is nonsense. The ship looked very good given her age, and the renovation a couple years ago resulted in her looking just fine.

Publication Date: 12/15/09
Read the Bahamas ports review by snorkelman
More Majesty of the Seas Cruise Reviews