Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by MontTheDonk: Majesty and RCCI Exceeded Expectations

MontTheDonk
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Majesty of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Majesty and RCCI Exceeded Expectations

Sail Date: December 2009
Destination: Bahamas

This cruise was a lot of 'firsts' for me - first RCL cruise, first solo cruise, first time to the Bahamas and Keys, and first interior cabin. I chose the Majesty 4 night cruise because of the price and itinerary. The single supplement was pleasingly low (about 115%) - and the overall cruise price was very acceptable. Carnival came nowhere near with their 200% solo prices - and so lost some revenue I guess. I was a little apprehensive going in a ship of it's age, but was pleasantly surprised all around. The ship was in very good shape and the recent refit worked well.

So, how do RCL and CCL compare in offerings? First of all, the RCL interior and OV cabins are WAY smaller than Carnival - at least on this ship. My cabin was fine for one person, but with two or three it would have been tight. I think the Cruise Director referred to them as "changing rooms" instead of "state rooms". RCL does not permit any carry on alcohol unlike Carnival - just an annoyance.

Dining More - did MyTime on both brands - RCL was better and the waiters (Estelito and Myatori(?)) were great. Carnival made it seem like an after-thought and made no attempt to get you with the same servers each night. Food was pretty equivalent for both. No lobster - but it was a 4 nighter compared with the 7 nighter I did with CCL. More people seemed to respect the "formal" dress on that night which made it seem more elegant.

Activities were somewhat less on this cruise - but we were in ports every day so I didn't expect a lot. The Cruise Director was amazing and made a big difference in the participation level in the various "parties" he organized. Some people tag CCL as the "party cruise line" - but I would have to say the parties on the Majesty were more fun and had greater participation. Embarking and disembarking were about the same and fairly easy. Cabin attendant was attentive but not overtly present.

Overall, I had a wonderful cruise (a person would have to work hard to have a bad one) and would do it again! Less

Read more Majesty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Majesty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Majesty of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 3 3035

Very small compared to CCL cabins. Quite adequate for one person. Not much storage space. Quiet place even though near crew access door.

I liked KW. Will get a scooter next time so I can go further. Plenty of bars and good restaurants. Half-Shell raw Bar oysters were great. 2 for 1 margaritas offered by some bars seemed watered down.
Read 730 Key West Reviews

Need to explore this port more. Visited Atlantis via the water taxi. They can crowd those little boats to the point of danger. Town seemed OK - need to go further afield next time.
Read 2614 Nassau Reviews