Carnival Dream Cruise Review by buzzsmom: What a Dream!

buzzsmom
Member Since 2007

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

What a Dream!

Sail Date: December 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We absolutely loved our vacation on the Dream. We travelled with a big group of extended family and it was truly a memorable trip. It was not perfect, but came pretty close to it! With all the negative reviews on here, I thought folks would enjoy reading a positive experience.

Hotel

We had an 8 hour drive to Port Canaveral. We spent a great night at the Country Inns & Suites about a mile away. This is a very pleasant hotel and we got parking for our car included.

The lines were fairly long when we boarded. It took about an hour, but honestly, we were so excited to be heading out on this long-awaited vacation that we didn't care. The Carnival staff at the Port Canaveral terminal were very nice and welcoming.

Our cabin was on deck 11, but not one of the "Spa" rooms that they now offer on Dream. We were very happy with the room -a great sweeping view from our balcony and everything very clean More and new. I noted the art above the beds and thought that was a nice touch too. The location was perfect for us - just a short walk to Camp Carnival (we had our two boys with us), the gym and just above the Lido so we could run down for snacks. Our steward Pedro and his asst. Sancho were both very nice and took great care of us.

Ship

I thought the Dream was really pretty inside. I loved the use of different granites throughout. The decor was glitzy without being too "Vegas." The Dream Atrium with the glass elevators was cool.

Lido Buffets/Food

The lido buffets often had long lines on sea days, which I guess is inevitable with SOOO many passengers. The food was ok. Nothing earth-shattering. My boys and I loved the chocolate fountain on the last sea day with hand-dipped pineapple slices on sticks. Yum. The muffins and pastries at breakfast were so delicious...easy to eat way too many of them!

The Mongolian Wok had long waits. One day I decided to wait and the food was very good. Plus the smells from the woks were great!

The new Tandoor at the back of the ship was EXCELLENT! I love indian food and this was pretty authentic though I like my Ind. food super hot. Still, it was really, really delicious and never crowded. Try the chewy tandoor Naan bread. Yum.

Someone else from my extended family raved about the sandwiches from the deli.

My son gave thumbs up to the grilled cheese sandwiches from room service - lol.

Dining Room

We had Crimson dining room early seating and had a big group of family members. (12-13 of us on most nights) Our waiters Lin & Jose were terrific. Jose I am sure will soon be a head waiter - he is a sweetheart. The dining room food was really very, very good. I was very surprised. It completely outshined the Dining Room food on the Princess cruise I took in April. They have added in a lot of ethnic appetizers and entrees and the menu was well thought out and creative. My husband loved the lamb chops, my favorite was a thai/vietnamese beef appetizer that was served one night. Yum!!! I know people have complained about cold food - none of our party ever experienced that.

Camp Carnival

Carnival truly works above and beyond to insure your kids are having a blast. My kids were in the 6-8 year olds group and they absolutely LOVED the activities. They begged to go and were kept busy some nights right up until 1am! The women who work there are so dedicated. The Dream dancers and break dancers even came down to teach them some dance moves - something my kids really enjoyed.

Water Park

This was a big hit with the nine kids in our party. THey spent quite a few hours sliding and splashing. I enjoyed sitting in a lounge chair watching them. It was fun and uncrowded.

Ports

The ports were decent. We didn't do any ship excursions. My least favorite was Antigua b/c the "merchants" at the beach were sort of pushy. The "merchants" at Coki Beach on St Thomas were very polite and nice and we saw tons of beautiful fish which made up for the beach being crowded. We LOVED Brewers bay in Tortola - empty beach and nice snorkeling. Grand Turk was beautiful. Carnival has built a gorgeous pier there with a pretty beach, shops, and a huge pool. We couldn't dock at San Juan b/c the ship was too big - not a big deal for me b/c I had been to SJ five times before.

Fitness Center

Nice new machines, lots of weight machines and surprisingly not terribly crowded. I should have gone more considering all the great food I was scarfing down

Shows

We loved the shows. The singing and dancing was incredible. Especially the break dancing - wow. Those guys are amazing.

Disembarkation

Amazingly fast. We were off the boat and in our car driving home on I95 by 8am!!! Very orderly and quick.

We loved our Dream vacation - it was wonderful. Less