Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by jean6183: Sapphire Princess ~ was something to be desired.

jean6183
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera Cruises

Sapphire Princess ~ was something to be desired.

Sail Date: December 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We took a family cruise on the Sapphire Princess on 12/05/09 with my husband, son (13 yrs) daughter (10yrs)and myself. We flew from Ohio to LA and had princess transfers which were worth every penny. Our check in was very organized and I don't think we waited more then 1/2 hr to get to our cabin. The cabin was a balcony room on the Lido deck. The room was smaller then other cruises we took (on RCCL) but very clean.

Now for the service. I would have to say WHAT SERVICE. This is my third cruise, but first with princess. The other were with RCCL. ( we went on the liberty last summer) When I would ask for directions on the ship, most would say, I don't know and walk away.. When I'd get a refill on diet soda, it was like I was bothering them!! One night, I went to the buffet and although I know better, I grabbed one of my strawberries before I was done getting food (just a habit) one of the workers came behind me and said, don't eat in line, that's what we have tables More for....I even said, you don't have to be so rude, he just glared at me and I walked away!!

The food was mediocre at most.. The desserts were not that good ~they were lacking something and I couldn't put my finger on it. This was the concensus of our group of 7. On RCCL, I would never have to ask for refills on our soda's or tea at dinner, but with princess, I had to ask all the time!!

The workers were not even friendly to our kids!! Most of the time, you can expect them to be nicer to kids!! NOPE, not here!!! My daughter still tells everyone about her waiter on our RCCL cruise last year.. She knows his name, where is was from and the special things he did for her and our son!! Tell me that's not something !!

Although this cruise was a gift and I'm greatful.. I can tell you we will probably never sail on princess again!!

Please don't waste your money on the sapphire.. spend a little more and pick another cruise line that want their customers to come back! Less

Read more Sapphire Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sapphire Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sapphire Princess L255

Balcony Room on the Lido Deck (deck 14).. The rooms were clean, smaller then our rooms last year on RCCL, liberty of the seas.. Quiet location, balcony nice,but small. nobody could look down on you. If you looked down from our balcony, you could see all the other balconies and what people were doing.

Cabo, our last stop with the least amount of hours (6 hrs) to visit was by far the nicest. The peddlers have to stay behind a line and there are police all around the boardwalk. Went shopping and enjoyed the local shops..Bought clothing at Del Sol and Senor Frogs~~ On the way back to the tender, there was a statue and my daughter wanted a picture with the green army guy.. Well, I didn't know it was a real person..I took the picture, but just as I snapped the photo, he took the fake (let's hope) army gun and pointed it at my 10 yr olds head.....NICE!!! I grabbed her and went to my tender.

Matzalan wasn't much better.. we took a van to the local shopping/beach area.. we were told we could stay at a resort free..Well, it was free because as soon as you walked in the door, they hounded you.. The beach was no better.. it was constant peddlers wanting you to buy goods!!
Read 292 Mazatlan Reviews

Our first port was puerto vallarta~ we went on a beach in walking distance, the locals were relentless in wanting us to buy things from them. I mean every 2-3 minutes someone would come up to us.. I don't think I've said NO so many times in a 3-4 hr period!! There was a resort, can't remember the name of it and we used their chairs and umbrella.. a security guard came up and told us we'd have to pay 20.00 to use it..but he didn't want me to pay right then.. My husband was skeptical, but all I could imagine is being taken away by the mexican police for not paying.. At the end of our day, I went to go inside the building and the security guy was walking near me.. He pocketed my money and then asked if my husband was nearby.. of course he was and I left. So, I was probably taken, but just a very strange situation.