Sun Princess Cruise Review by linteater: Nursing Home at Sea

Nursing Home at Sea

Sail Date: November 2009
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Other

I should have read the reviews here before booking the cruise, but there weren't too many affordable New Zealand cruises that left when we needed.

About 80% of this cruise was booked by senior citizens, which in and of itself isn't a terrible thing, but as 20-somethings, it did become a bit frustrating when disembarking at various ports, going through buffet lines, or really doing anything where speed and efficiency would be nice. The shows were designed for the older set (much older), which was understandable. But if they're going to call a production show a "tribute to the music of recent decades," at least choose more than 2 songs created after 1970, or rename the description. Frank Sinatra is definitely not a "recent" musical talent.

As far as service, I don't know if it's because Aussies don't tip, but I felt barely tolerated by Princess staff. Our stateroom steward was very nice, but nobody else went out of their way to amaze us. I was even scolded by one More person for trying to take my food to my stateroom.

Also, the ship was very out of date. There definitely wasn't enough to entertain me for 13 days. And I'm not sure if this ship was made before stabilisers were routinely incorporated into ships or if they just didn't work, but this was the most uncomfortable boat I've been on to date. One day, the ocean was beautiful - clear as glass without any waves, and the ship was still rocking. On a stormy day it was terrible and you could hear the wood creaking in your stateroom as you felt every single wave.

There was no jogging track, although they did allow you to jog on the promenade deck. Unfortunately, being a floating nursing home, it was difficult to jog while avoiding the very slow walkers. They did have a gym, but no fans so you would overheat very quickly on the treadmills; and the waves made it impossible to keep your balance on those if you went at more than a speedwalk.

Also, the shore excursions were ridiculously overpriced and less fun than the ones you could book by visiting New Zealand's iSite tourism offices.

To end on a positive note, the embarkation process was very efficient and quick, and the dining room food was great. Less

Read more Sun Princess cruise reviews >>