Westerdam Cruise Review by bettacanuck: The Westerdam rocked my world!!

bettacanuck
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Westerdam Western Caribbean Cruises

The Westerdam rocked my world!!

Sail Date: November 2009

The Background

I went on this cruise with a friend and my 2 aunts, grandmother and 2 of their friends. It was a gift and I've never really the desire to cruise as I've usually done all inclusives in the past. So I really had no idea what to expect, but got lots of great advice on cruise forum to prepare myself.

The Ship

I thought the Westerdam was amazing!! She's a beautiful ship, although of course I have nothing to compare her with. She was clean, it seemed like everywhere I walked someone was scrubbing and cleaning and polishing something. The room (a VC balcony room on the 5th floor) was great, it was so amazing to order in room service for early breakfast and sit outside and watch the sun come up. Our cabin stewards spoiled us rotten.

The Food

The food was soooo good!! We ate in the dining room every night and did the open seating. Every morning we made reservations for 7 people for the late seating at 7:45. I found that a bit More late to eat, but the only other time you can reserve is 5:15pm. Once we found a great table staff, we asked to reserve that table every night and found that much better than having a different waiter every night. The service was mostly fantastic. The lido buffet was great as well for breakfast and lunch. Especially loved the Asian station in the lido buffet and the Mongolian grill out by the lido pool on the first sea day. Yum!! As well had lunch at the Pinnacle Grill one day. It is well worth the extra $10.00 per person as it was amazing.

The Booze

Can't forget to give a shout out to the Ocean Bar and it's 2 for 1 drinks between 4pm and 5pm on some days and 5pm and 6pm on others. I wish I had found that the first day, and not the 3rd!! It was really nice to get the free appetizers that they gave out as well. I believe some nights there are also 2 for 1 drinks in the Crow's Nest between 9pm and 10pm, but we never did that. We did though go up there one evening late and had a scotch in one of those leather recliners, ah heaven...it helped that someone was strumming a guitar. Very relaxing!!

A Couple Negatives

I figure to sound credible I can't just rave about how amazing everything was. Of course nothing can be perfect. I found the internet to be quite a rip off as the connection is so slow that it takes forever just to send a small email. No big deal though, but it'd be nice if they lowered the price because of the connection. The internet cafe is beautiful though!

The other negative which probably doesn't affect a lot of cruisers, is feeling motion sick!! Our stateroom was very close to the front of the ship and you could feel the ship's movement a lot! Others who visited our room agreed that it was very pronounced there. So if you are nervous about getting seasick, don't stay in room 5013 Let's just say Gravol got a lot of business from me last week.

My Conclusions

I absolutely loved cruising!!! I feel like an all inclusive will seem boring to me now!! I can't say enough about the wonderful service on Holland America and the Westerdam. I would love to cruise with them again. Less

Read more Westerdam cruise reviews >>