Azamara Quest Cruise Review by kofamily44: Azamara Quest - Ancient Empires

Azamara Quest - Ancient Empires

Sail Date: November 2009
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

We booked our cruise/tour which included two nights in Rome. We were picked up at our hotel and driven to the port. Embarkation was very fast and our luggage nearly got to our cabin before we did.

At first glance the ship was on the smallish side. The public rooms were adequate but you must remember the Quest only has 694 passengers and this was a very small ship compared to the mega ships now sailing.

We had a Veranda cabin and it was very compact and everything seemed to fit into every nook and cranny of the cabin. The bathroom was very small and standard but was very functional. The very over sized towels were too large for the smallish bathroom and the tiny hooks on the door. Hooks were changed during the middle of the cruise to accommodate the large towels.

The Fitness Center was excellent and there were seldom anybody using the machines and the steam room in the morning was always empty. Staff were very pleasant and made you feel like a real guest. More

The enrichment program was available but was not not well attended due to the below average quality of the speakers.

The food was above average in the main dining room and exception in Prime and Aqualina. Service in the main dining room was very, very slow. Each meal there took an average of two and one half hours to complete. Management needs to address the potential problem.

Entertainment was above average with Sue the cruise director being a ball of fire and getting things going. Eric, Brook, and Lindsay were very good performers and keep the older than average crowd entertained. The Five Azamara Singers and Dancers should be let off at the next port of call because they were very marginal. Hope they had other day jobs on this cruise!!! Jim the lounge piano player was very entertaining and a pleasure to watch.

Service was by far the best I've had on any cruise line. Staff called you by name after meeting you only once. They continue to amaze me with their positive attitudes and willingness to service. Maria the Bar Waitress worked at least five different venues and always had a smile on her face.

I would rate the shore excursions the weakest part of this cruise experience. All the tours were very expensive and the main focus was to take you to hard sell carpet shops and papyrus factories. The shore excursion team was lacking in communication skills. I went to a presentation by Juan and he was very difficult to understand and did not have the breath of knowledge of the ports of call. Through Cruise Critics we books most of tours at one half to one third the price and saw what we wanted with no hard sells. On other ports you can easily negotiate with the local Taxi Drivers to see all the local sites. In Fethiye we had a five hour tour which included most the major site plus a home visit to the Taxi Drivers home for Coffee and Fruit. The cost was $30 per couple!!! The Tourist Board person at each port provided by the Government was most helpful and provided great maps and local information.

The senior staff was very visible through out the cruise. Captain Leif was always on shore, in the dining areas, and very easy to talk with. Captains on other ships I've sailed on were just a figment of my imagination.

The Captain's Club Loyalty Program which was associated with Celebrity Cruise is not worth joining. As a member I got a coupon for $5.00 our my laundry. With this five dollars I could clean two pair of underwear. I also got a coupon for 10 minutes of free Internet if I bought a package. And packages for the Internet were NOT cheap. It would be best to do your Internet on shore because it is 2000% cheaper.

I read tonight where Azamra is beginning a new program where water, wine, and other drinks will be available free of charge on all future cruises. I know they are trying to break away from the Celebrity Brand/Stigma to create there own loyalty program.

Overall I would consider this one of the best cruise experiences I've every had. Great ship, above average food, great ports of call, and Exceptional Staff. Less

Read more Azamara Quest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Azamara Quest Review >>

Cabin review: Azamara Quest 7020

We were on Deck 7 in 7020. We had a veranda cabin and it was small but comfortable. We were never in our room so it didn't matter about the size. The veranda/balcony is nice to have but being on such a port intensive cruise we did not get to use it enough. Bathroom was very small but adequate. Closet space was enough for two people. The refrigerator was very small and in a closed environment. It did not have space to vent and the area around the refrigerator was always warm.

Egypt is an assault on all your senses. This is a wonderful third world country where 65% of the people are unemployed. We took a very long day trip to Cairo to see see the Pyramids, Sphinx, the Egyptian Museum, and the Grand Bazaar. We started out at 7:00 AM and return at 8:45 PM. We were nearly the last to board the ship but it was a wonderful day. We booked with Ramses Tour out of Alexandria and the cost was less than half of what the ship was charging. I would strongly recommend Ramses Tour!!!! And we didn't have any carpet or papyrus hard sells like the tours from the ship.

We ended up in Athens and caught our bus to the airport. But arriving so early allowed us to do a quick tour of Athens and some of its Historical Sites. Definitely a city to revisit in the future.

Great port and everything can be done on your own. You need to catch the tram outside of the Port Area and from there you can access all of the city. I would suggest that you get on a bus and get hopelessly lost and experience the wonderful Turkish Culture.

I would suggest that Azamara spent less time in Chios and have have two full days in Istanbul.

Read 256 Istanbul Reviews

We booked with others from Cruise Critic and saw the fabulous museum, St. Paul's, Church, the house of Virgin Mary, Ephesus and the Terrace Houses and brunch. Our guide was highly recommended on Cruise Critic and the cost of this eight hour plus tour was $55/person. If interested contact borkus@superonline.com and request Bulent Orkus as your tour guide.

Read 357 Kusadasi Reviews

Cyprus is divided into two parts. One part is Greece and one part is Turkey. We saw Limassol (Greek Part) and this is a very pleasant port with not much to see in town. If you have more time you can go to the divided capital of Nicosia and some of the other historical sites. We had to leave at 1:00 PM and could not explore this divided country.

We've been to Sorrento before and this is a very walkable town and also the starting point to see Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast. You need to tender in and negotiate the uphill climb to town. Prices are high but not as high as other Italian cities. Beware of the dishonest bus drivers that take you up the hill!!!