Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by blu570: It's all about Expectations!

blu570
Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

It's all about Expectations!

Sail Date: November 2009
Destination: Bahamas

Having not been on an NCL cruise in almost 8 years I was a little unsure what to expect. But we were eager to get away from the cold of NE Pennsylvania and a have a nice break after the Thanksgiving holiday. Overall, I was extremelly pleased with our experince on the SKY. She may be an older ship, but having recently refurbished, she showed no signs of wear. Sure, she isn't the biggest and she is missing a lot of the bells and whistles....but one thing she does have is a really great price tag!! For just over $200 we spent 4-days and nights floating around the carribbean and loving it!! Try and find a place in South Florida (or anywhere) that will do that and include all meals and entertainment!! YOU CAN'T! I have read a lot of the negative reviews and do what I did...try it out yourself. You won't be disappointed! My partner and I travelled with several other couples. Most of us agreed that the ship was nice...but some prefer the Atlantis cruise where couples of our type are catered More to. I found the staff, crew & ammentities just fine. I found the food, for the most part, to be quite good. Sure...it wasn't 5-star...but it was by no means diner fair. Definitely try the prime rib, the rack of lamb, the 8oz sirloin (add bleu cheese crumbles!) & the seafood and more seafood pasta (w/ Lobster tail). And remember...you're on vacation...order seconds...or mix and match entrees. I don't think there was one meal where we didn't order almost one of everything amongst our group. Sure...you could pay extra and go to one of the 'specialty' restaurants...but I don't know why you'd want to! The food was definitely better than I expected. My only major complaint was the slow service in the main dining rooms. Becuase it is freestyle, you run the risk of hitting the restaurant at it's peak time. Dinner took over two hours on two occasions...but we were a group of 10 and we had no where to go! It was worth the wait. Another minor complaint...Freeport.....BORING...Either book an excursion or stay on board and pretend it is a day at sea!

All things considered, I would do the same cruise tomorrow! Worth every penny! And hell, it beats the 6" of snow we got over the weekend! Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 8007

Luckily we booked an excursion through NCL.. We did kayaking through a mangrove forest and had a picnis lunch provided on a private beack at Lucaya National Park. The secluded beach was gorgeous....mile after mile of white sands and crystal clear water. With that said....Freeport was really like a ghost town.....if I were NCL I would make this a day at sea. I liked the excursion....but most people complained at the lack of things to do.

Read 779 Freeport Reviews

OK....so the last time I was in Nassau I swore it would be my last. But I really enjoyed it this time. We took a water taxi from the port to Atlantis to check it out. While I had been already, most of group had not. It really is something to see...even nicer than I remembered. Afterwards we took our taxi driver's advice and headed to the FREE public beach next to Atlantis called Cabbage Beach. We lucked out again.....mile after mile of white sands and crystal clear water. There was even a small bar at one of the smaller hotels. It was paradise...we spent most of our day there.

Read 2644 Nassau Reviews