Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by Jaretr1: Majesty is ok, great value.

Jaretr1
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Majesty of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Majesty is ok, great value.

Sail Date: December 2009
Destination: Bahamas

This was my 10th cruise, but first on RCI. My previous 9 were on Carnival. I have done this same 3 day Bahamas run on Carnival 3 times, twice on the Fascination, and once on the Imagination. This was also the first time I cruised alone. To be fair, I will keep my comparisons between the short cruises as I am sure Royal's longer cruise product on the bigger ships is completely different. I chose the Majesty because about 2-3 weeks before the cruise, when I realized I would be going alone if at all, they offered a very acceptable single rate. Carnival and Norwegian did not. A week before the cruise Carnival dumped the pricing on the Imagination and I could have gotten aboard for about $30 less than what I paid for the Majesty. However, the price I paid never went less than what I paid (I Know because I kept checking).

To begin with, the Majesty, while in fine condition and overall clean has the most uninspiring interior decor. Almost no where on the ship did I feel like I was More aboard something nice and upscale, with two exceptions. Boleros is the most modern and upscale public room on the ship, nicely done. The public restrooms, all redone and look like they could have been lifted from the Oasis! The rest of the decor reminded me of a budget motel or retirement home, complete with the green outdoor carpet on the pool decks!

The Windjammer buffet has a great layout that is superior to anything on any Carnival ship. Plenty of stations with a nice variety and never a line (with the exception of the omelette station for Breakfast). I didn't try the Compass Deli or Johnny Rockets. Breakfast was standard fair and acceptable. I had lunch one day in the dining room and it was very good. Dinners were all above my expectations (which admittedly were low). I found the food overall to be as good if not a little better than any of the 3 day cruises I did with Carnival. My waiter and dining room staff were all very good. Speaking of food, I did miss a few things from my Carnival experiences such as lobster tail, free sushi bar (no sushi to be found on the Majesty at all), 24 hour yogurt and ice cream, espresso or cappuccino for free during meals. I kinda felt on some occasions RCI nickles and dimes a little to much. For example, if you want fresh squeezed Orange juice for breakfast, that's $2.95, a fillet for dinner, that's $14.95 etc. Why not make your best product available for everyone all the time! I know cruise lines are trying to extract every single ounce of revenue they can with the cruise fares being so low, but sometimes its a little insulting.

As far as activities and entertainment, that was on par with Carnival. Ricky Matthews the cruise director was full of energy and personality and was all over the ship. The comedian, Tony Daro was very funny and actually had a routine, rather than make fun of people in the audience for 45 minutes ( I have seen that before). The production show was good as well. Quest on the last night, hosted by Ricky, was hysterical. Its amazing the ridiculous things complete strangers will do with each other for a laugh or two!

I also missed not having beach towels in the stateroom, which Carnival does. To go ashore with one, I would have had to go all the way to the pool deck and then all the way back down to leave the ship, an inconvenience. However, I did like that big boards with the cruise Compass were all over the ship, which made it easy to keep track of what was going on (Carnival does not do that).

Overall, all things considered, I felt I got a very good value for my money. The staff and crew were friendly, the service throughout the ship was very good, the food was good, just the ship itself left a lot to be desired. If I am looking at another 3 day cruise, Carnival will continue to be my first choice if the prices are comparable. I prefer the layout and look of the Imagination (especially after the redo) (Fantasy class ships) and those little things Carnival does that Royal does not. I look forward to try one of Royals larger newer ships on a longer cruise to truly make a comparison. Less

Read more Majesty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Majesty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Majesty of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2

I had a ocean view cabin on Deck 2 aft. Its no secret the cabins on this ship are the smallest in the industry. Having said that, I had enough space for me, and another person for a 3 day cruise. Beds were comfortable. And despite only having a porthole, it was enough to let me see out and let the light in. I hardly felt the ship moving and didn't hear a peep from anything else. Be aware that ocean view cabins on deck 7 allow no privacy since the windows overlook the exterior promenade where lots of people go walking by. Deck 8 cabins also probably have pretty poor views.

Coco Cay was a nice stop. From the ship it looked tiny. Until I got on land and began walking around the entire island, an hour later I was exhausted. There was an abundance of beach chairs, either near the crowds, or on the back side of the island where it was more serene and you could hear the waves landing on the sand. Tendering was smooth and without issues.

Nassau is becoming a place I do not like. The people are to pushy and with me, that just does not go over well. I do not go on this short cruise for the itinerary, and unfortunately, Nassau is the closest major port to South Florida.

Read 2646 Nassau Reviews