Wind Surf Cruise Review by beachpicasso: Nothing to do but relax

Nothing to do but relax

Sail Date: November 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Barbados

First sailing on a Windstar adventure and was not sure what to expect. What was experienced was lots of relaxation with just the right amount of activity if desired. The lack of "stimulation" (which I loved) from big ships was a definite plus for me. If you want clubbing and nightly entertainment this is not the cruise for you.

My sailing had only 224 passengers and it was quite nice to actually get to know most of the folks on the cruise and share both onshore experiences and learn what a small world in which we live.

Sports platform was a major plus as to jump or dive into the middle of the crystal clear Caribbean was magnificent. There were also sailboats, kayaks, waterski boats and snorkel trips for guests when sports platform was open.

I found the spa facilities to be nice with some services definitely better than others depending upon the technician providing the services. Fitness area was adequate but not necessary for me with all the swimming and More other activities in which to participate.

Food and bar service were good although I did not feel exceptional. There is 24 hour room service however the meals are served at set times. If you want a snack in between meals, room service would have to be used as there is no buffet at "all times" as I have experienced on other cruises. It should be noted room service was very fast.

The casino is small and not many folks frequent it, however, the few which did were "regulars" and we all got to know each other and looked forward to seeing each other each evening to talk about our days and enjoy each others company. The dealers were very friendly and it was hard to get upset even when the money was going to the wrong side of the table.

Crew members were very helpful and went out of their way to get to know the guests names and particular needs. One day of ordering a particular drink and it was remembered and offered at the appropriate meal. While they were attentive, they were not overbearing. It was quite refreshing.

The captain of the ship allowed folks to enter the bridge and in St.Lucia sailed over to the base of the Pitons for a view of the beach and to take photos.

It was also nice to not have loud announcements every 30 minutes or so from the Captain. We usually only heard from the bridge when we were under full sail or if a landmark was being identified.

One negative is the amount of guests they put on the tender boats as it was uncomfortable being so crowded aboard and with only one window and the boarding area open it was also quite hot. I think more tender boats or even more trips with less people would be desirable. I also received this feedback from most of my fellow passengers.

All in all, I would recommend the experience to anyone wanting to relax, see a few ports of interest and bask in the sunlight and swim in the Caribbean. Less

Read more Wind Surf cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Wind Surf Review >>

Cabin review: Wind Surf 321

While we did get a great price --- it apparently came at a price---- that price being this cabin was next to the tender that was lowered right outside the suite at 7 a.m. every port that we anchored at sea. No noise on the day we stopped in Guadeloupe because we docked at the port and no noise first night as we were at sea and no tender service. While it was an annoyance, I usually didn't have much trouble falling back asleep.

Great port with shops such as L. Vuitton, Lacoste, Persol, etc. Clean, art deco town with French flavor abounding.

Just walked around in the port area and you can walk right into the heart of the City. There are quite a few "touristy" stores when you first arrive but they diminish a bit as you walk away from the port area.

This port was one where we participated in some zip lining over the rain forests of St. Lucia. It was a 45 minute ride to the rain forest which while being quite long up meandering roads was worth the experience of "zipping". After a 45 minute ride back to the dock (we were on an a/c bus with a quite humorous and information laden guide) there was a barbeque for guest who wanted to stay at the beach or (as we chose) to go back to the ship and bask in the sun and get back to the habit we were acquiring called "relaxing".

View of Pitons at the conclusion of day was incredible as captain sailed as close as possible for photo ops. The sun was setting and the moon was rising---it was incredible.