Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by HelgaBean: Sad it's over!!!

HelgaBean
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Sad it's over!!!

Sail Date: November 2009

Embarkation: The only set back was that we had to park in a garage pretty far away from the terminal and a shuttle bus brought my husband back to the terminal. The lines were long but went very fast.

Carnival Liberty: Beautiful ship. Very clean, the staff take great pride on what they do. We had Butch as our cruise director again (had him on the Carnival Glory last Christmas) and he is as enthusiastic as ever. We won a Carnival Liberty trophy for our Thanksgiving door decorations so that was cool. The food was very good everywhere. The only complaint my husband had was that some of the chocolate melting cake wasn't completely done (he had it all 7 nights so he would know) :) Flatiron steak in the dining rooms is very good, service was great. Our waiters Jimmy and Afif were very pleasant and dedicated. They could have used some help. On our last cruise we had 3 waiters, this time only 2. Only made it to the Burrito Bar one time and when I did it kicked butt!! Just like going More to Chiptole. Yummy.....

Plenty to do on the ship of course. Our room steward didn't impress us much at all. She did not put our bed up that came out of the ceiling every night which made our family of four very cramped. On my last cruise it was put away every day. A couple of times she left glasses in the room that should have been taken out and one night she didn't empty the bathroom trash. My experience on the Carnival Glory with our room steward there was much better. On our last day at sea, we couldn't go out onto to our balcony in the morning due to cleaning. We weren't sure why they couldn't have done that in one of the ports of call.

Ports of call: Cozumel: did the snorkel/dune buggy tour to Punta Sur. Our guides were Memo and Pouncho (great guys, very knowledgeable) The swim out to the reef is very far, most people had to come back in halfway through the snorkel. I felt like I swam a mile by the time we were finished but the reef was very pretty. However, if you didn't' want to snorkel you had plenty of beach time in a beautiful area with a covered hut and umbrellas and chairs. We wanted to snorkel, therefore, we didn't have a lot of beach time at all. That's the only thing I think should be changed about this excursion: more beach time. The Mexican snacks were yummy. The best Pico de Gallo I have had. Dune buggies were fun too. Did some shopping in Cozumel and had a margarita at Fat Tuesdays which was DELISH!! It was great coming back to the ship at night seeing it all lit up-very pretty. Cayman Islands: We had to tender here. The downside is that you have to get to your boat 45 minutes before your excursion starts to make it off on time. The process was very organized and went pretty quickly. Cayman Islands water is gorgeous, we did Ray's Reef N Snorkeling tour. Our guide was great. Snorkeled a very pretty reef and then went on to Stingray City where everyone interacted with the stingrays. Such graceful animals, so pretty!! Only complaint about this excursion: more time!!! Ocho Rios, Jamaica: Got right off the ship and went right onto the Cool Runnings trimaran. The staff on that were great, they made sure you had fun one way or another. DJ was great too. Got to Dunns River Falls and climbed, pretty strenuous but had a wonderful time. Only unfortunate part was that we warned not to buy DVDs in Jamaica of our trip up the falls because most people pay and never get their DVD. That would have been a terrific keepsake-too bad!! After our climb on the falls we did not have any beach time at all so that was disappointing as I assumed we would have plenty of time to chill on the beach but once we got done, it was time to go. If you don't climb the falls, pretty beach area to chill on. We went to the public beach afterward right near the ship. I believe it was $2.50 a piece to get on. Had quite a few Jamaicans wanting us to buy things from them. They really are pretty desperate for you to buy anything from them. However, we didn't buy anything but our souvenir t shirts in the shops. Island Village is a very nice shopping area. I heard Margaritaville has a beach and slide but we didn't have time to go there. Kind of wish we would have tried that instead of the public beach as the water at the public beach was not deep at all (would be perfect for toddlers though).

Entertainment: All of the shows were good, nice costumes, awesome sets. Great voices and the Carnival Liberty dancers were great. Loved seeing Butch dressed as Dolly Parton. The orchestra that plays along with these shows was the best of all of it!! Neither of the comedians on the ship impressed us, weren't very funny (even the R rated shows)

Summary: Had a wonderful time on our cruise other than at the casino :( Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Balcony Upper 6235

Enough storage for a family of four. Our cabin was either above or under the Venetian Palace so we did hear the entertainment one evening but it didn't disrupt us when going to sleep.