MSC Poesia Cruise Review by learning: Expect the Hampton Inn and you won't be dissapointed

learning
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 2.0

Compare Prices on MSC Poesia Southern Caribbean Cruises

Expect the Hampton Inn and you won't be dissapointed

Sail Date: November 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean

After reading all the mixed reviews I went expecting the worst and hoping for the best. Embarkation was quick and easy. The best part was that as soon as we walked onto the ship, we were met with white glove service. The attendant took our carry-on and brought us directly to the room. We were staying in an inside cabin. Very clean and nothing looked worn anywhere on the ship. Still had that new, shiny look.

Entertainment on several of the nights was spectacular. Wonderful costumes, great scenery and some real talent. There were a few nights when the program did not seem adequately rehearsed. Always entertaining.

Meals really aren't their thing. Service was very good. The waiters tried very hard and wanted to please. The food was of low quality. Tasted like frozen or canned. Not the greatest, but on the positive side, I wasn't tempted to eat too much and gain weight. On the plus side, there was a good salad and fruit bar! Pizza was also pretty good.

My 15 More y.o. daughter came along. She did meet some friends and had a good time with them. Teen activities were very limited and the kids could have used more activities geared towards them.

The ship was overall very clean and the furnishings and decor fairly simple. More what I would expect from a clean Hampton Inn rather than thinking I was going to the Ritz.

My only real 'beef' with the ship was that it didn't appear that the stabilizer was either used at all or infrequently. The shipped REALLY rocked when there was only a slight chop. A few of the days were pretty bad on the ship. There were several seniors with bruises from falling. I think if the boat took up a collection, we all would have chipped in to pay for the extra gas needed to run the stabilizers.

Otherwise, made some new friends and really did enjoy myself. The boat was active and had good security. Less

Read more MSC Poesia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Poesia Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Poesia 10004

We were on the 10th floor at the extreme front of the ship. Room was very quiet and next to the door leading out to the balcony on the bow. Space was adequate for 2. Decor was very simple.

Aruba is very clean, nice beaches and many restaurants. This is a difficult one for me to rate as I live near the beach and was not looking to go to another beach resort. However, if this is what I was looking for, Aruba would be the place to be.

Read 681 Aruba Reviews

Cartagena was a treat. The walled city was wonderful. I did take the ship's tour for this one. I only took the tour from the ship because I was told of the dangers of going alone. I would have been fine taking a cab to the walled city and spending the day just there. That was the highlight and so much to see.

We shared a van with 6 others and first went to the Embrera Indians. We asked to go to one of the primitive tribes and not the one where most of the ships go. We took a 25 minute boat ride and then spent 2 hours with a tribe of about 40 people. Lunch was wonderful and we were able to spend time understanding their lifestyle. Best part was that the kids from the tribe took up a game of soccer with our kids.

The next stop was to see the lockes. Fascinating to see up close. Not to be missed.

I have been to Cozumel several times. We rented a jeep and drove around the island. We did go to Paradise Beach, which had trampolines and climbing walls in the water. Very touristy and relaxing. A good way to spend the day.

Read 3083 Cozumel Reviews

Really enjoyed Curacao. Wonderful architecture and history. My daughter and I took a private Jewish heritage tour with a local guide. Worth the entire trip. Loved the down town area and the culture.

Read 501 Curacao Reviews