Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Casino Player: Dream to the Bahamas

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Bahamas Cruises

Dream to the Bahamas

Sail Date: November 2009
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We are on our tenth Carnival Cruise and we were doing a B2B. Someone from the ship came for our luggage to bring it to our stateroom for the eight day cruise. Then we went down to the lobby. We met fellow Cruise Critic members Jack and Geri at the lobby. We got our room keys and someone told us our Sail&Sign information would be transferred from our last sailing, the one we just completed. Boy did we get a surprise, when we wanted to play BINGO I found out they could not do the transaction. We went to the Purser's Desk. When I informed the person I was talking to that someone else said the information was taken from the first part of the B2B and I even pointed out the person who told me she told me it was incorrect. They were informed by me before giving out information they should make sure it is correct information. That led to an argument.

What was nice was the Hotel Manager sent us a basket of fruit and cheese with crackers.

We could not go to More our stateroom until after 1:30 so we went to the Lido Deck. The food was still good. At the sail away I went to our Balcony and lo and behold I met one of my neighbors Boogirl1 and her husband. Nice folks.

At the dining rooms on the first few nights they opened late. Later in the cruise they opened on time. The food met the Carnival standard most of the time. Some of us Cruise Critic people met to go to what turned out to be the brunch. This was toward the end of the cruise. The service was far below the Carnival standard. The food fell well below the the Carnival standard. Two people ordered chicken which was not cooked all the way through. The desserts were not that good. With the shoddy service it took almost two hours to complete. Back to cooking school for the cook.

The Casino was still not a good experience. I play at the Craps Table. The dealers that worked there were very obnoxious. They don't want players to really play. One player was tapping the dice against the table, dealer said,"don't tap the dice." Why? Will it cause the table to go through the floor? Will the ship sink if you tap the dice? They certainly didn't like my methodical deliberate way of playing and constantly were trying to hurry me. I got hit on my hands while choosing dice by the stickman several times. Didn't have a good time playing in the Casino. Casino employees need to be properly trained. They have no idea of how to work in the hospitality industry. Craps table closed relatively early every night. No wonder, players don't like to be bullied while they play. Last month we went on the Triumph. They had to run us off the table most nights. I've played Craps for roughly twenty years. I've never seen a Casino run as shoddy as that one.

Entertainment- The comedy shows in the Burgundy lounge were pretty good. The shows in the theater were either a hit or miss. Edge was a bit strange, but, he put on a good show. Dancin in the Streets my wife liked. I thought it was just okay. Extreme Country was a disaster. The Fiddle player was very good. If he stood at center stage and played like he was Bob Wills it would have been a much better show.

The ship vibrates a lot. It shakes, rattles, and rolls pulling into ports. In the dining room the waiters tried to hold tables steady. There was also a lot of banging and other noises that could be heard throughout the ship. I have never experienced such motion on other Carnival ships even in bad weather. We had a bad storm coming out of Halifax last month on the Triumph with higher waves. Smoother ride. On Triumph Class ships the aft section of the Lido Deck was closed at least every time I was on board. On the Dream it is open which also limits use of aft pool and hot tubs besides offering more seating possibilities in inclement weather. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Balcony Panorama

The people that work at the Purser's Desk should get correct information before telling passengers. Often incorrect information is given out. Great balcony. Gift from Hotel Manager was nice. Casino employees need retraining. They should not harrass players that want to play the game. They should not abuse players. Room stewards always vaccuming, sweeping, taking out stains from rug. Room Service needs to get orders correct. However, they do get there which is a step up from RCCL. Ship viberates and makes plenty of noises. Which doesn't happen on other Carnival ships I've been on.

In Nassau, they got rid of the hair braiders at the gate which makes it more pleasureable. My wife wanted me to get her a few things. There were four ships in port and three of them were Carnival ships. The stores pushed by Carnival were crowded. I went to some other stores and purchased a few items.

Then I went back to the ship and saw the Carnival Captain's of the other two ships in port and some of their officers.

Spent the rest of the day on the ship and went to the hot tub. It was in the'80's down there so the hot tubs were really hot. The rest of the day, after fighting the crowds, was very relaxing.

Read 2607 Nassau Reviews

We didn't get off the ship at this port. We noticed that many others stayed on board too. We played miniture golf. Then we relaxed and enjoyed ourselves onboard the ship. Went to hot tubs and saw some travel agents walk around the ship. Answered questions from travel agents about our trip on the ship.