Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Casino Player

Carnival Dream
Carnival Dream
Member Name: Casino Player
Cruise Date: November 2009
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 8G
See More About: Carnival Dream Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Dream to the Bahamas
We are on our tenth Carnival Cruise and we were doing a B2B. Someone from the ship came for our luggage to bring it to our stateroom for the eight day cruise. Then we went down to the lobby. We met fellow Cruise Critic members Jack and Geri at the lobby. We got our room keys and someone told us our Sail&Sign information would be transferred from our last sailing, the one we just completed. Boy did we get a surprise, when we wanted to play BINGO I found out they could not do the transaction. We went to the Purser's Desk. When I informed the person I was talking to that someone else said the information was taken from the first part of the B2B and I even pointed out the person who told me she told me it was incorrect. They were informed by me before giving out information they should make sure it is correct information. That led to an argument.

What was nice was the Hotel Manager sent us a basket of fruit and cheese with crackers.

We could not go to our stateroom until after 1:30 so we went to the Lido Deck. The food was still good. At the sail away I went to our Balcony and lo and behold I met one of my neighbors Boogirl1 and her husband. Nice folks.

At the dining rooms on the first few nights they opened late. Later in the cruise they opened on time. The food met the Carnival standard most of the time. Some of us Cruise Critic people met to go to what turned out to be the brunch. This was toward the end of the cruise. The service was far below the Carnival standard. The food fell well below the the Carnival standard. Two people ordered chicken which was not cooked all the way through. The desserts were not that good. With the shoddy service it took almost two hours to complete. Back to cooking school for the cook.

The Casino was still not a good experience. I play at the Craps Table. The dealers that worked there were very obnoxious. They don't want players to really play. One player was tapping the dice against the table, dealer said,"don't tap the dice." Why? Will it cause the table to go through the floor? Will the ship sink if you tap the dice? They certainly didn't like my methodical deliberate way of playing and constantly were trying to hurry me. I got hit on my hands while choosing dice by the stickman several times. Didn't have a good time playing in the Casino. Casino employees need to be properly trained. They have no idea of how to work in the hospitality industry. Craps table closed relatively early every night. No wonder, players don't like to be bullied while they play. Last month we went on the Triumph. They had to run us off the table most nights. I've played Craps for roughly twenty years. I've never seen a Casino run as shoddy as that one.

Entertainment- The comedy shows in the Burgundy lounge were pretty good. The shows in the theater were either a hit or miss. Edge was a bit strange, but, he put on a good show. Dancin in the Streets my wife liked. I thought it was just okay. Extreme Country was a disaster. The Fiddle player was very good. If he stood at center stage and played like he was Bob Wills it would have been a much better show.

The ship vibrates a lot. It shakes, rattles, and rolls pulling into ports. In the dining room the waiters tried to hold tables steady. There was also a lot of banging and other noises that could be heard throughout the ship. I have never experienced such motion on other Carnival ships even in bad weather. We had a bad storm coming out of Halifax last month on the Triumph with higher waves. Smoother ride. On Triumph Class ships the aft section of the Lido Deck was closed at least every time I was on board. On the Dream it is open which also limits use of aft pool and hot tubs besides offering more seating possibilities in inclement weather.

Publication Date: 11/29/09