Carnival Dream Cruise Review by Casino Player

Carnival Dream
Carnival Dream
Member Name: Casino Player
Cruise Date: November 2009
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
See More About: Carnival Dream Cruise Reviews | Cruise to Nowhere Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Carnival Dream First Sailing From NYC
We came down to the piers for our ninth Carnival cruise on this new ship. We were doing a B2B so we had luggage. I found someone to assist me with our luggage on the elevator and he found a porter for me. I gave him my checked luggage. We got on board pretty quick in spite of the fact that the NY port couldn't use the regular means for boarding the ship and had to bring us in on Deck zero. My wife uses a walker and it took me and four other passengers to get my wife and walker safely up the slippery ramp. It was raining and no one from Carnival assisted.

We got on board and the rooms would not be ready until 1:30 which was more than an hour and one-half away. We got something to drink as the food stations were not open as yet. We tried several stations including the famed Mongolian Wok. Even the mild sauce was too hot for my wife. The mild sauce I thought was okay. Certainly the Mongolian Grille at Sam's Town in Las Vegas, Nev is much better. This food station leaves a lot to be desired. Other food stations were better. The Carnival chef's really did a good job on the buffett. Although, I will say that the pizza station was not quite ready. Whenever I went there it was a five to seven minute wait. Go back and another five to seven minute wait. It failed to meet the Carnival standard. This did not happen when I sailed on the Triumph a month ago.

The Safety Drill- was another disaster. They pack you into the area without life vests then show you a film about safety aboard the ship. We got the sound, but, no visual.

Dining Rooms never actually opened on time. They might have problems preparing for this amount of people. The food for the most part met the Carnival standard. It was very good.

The shows I guess weren't bad. Although I find it hard to believe how the dancers could stay up on the stage with all the motion during the weekend.

The Stateroom was a nice stateroom. However, they use the same design as do the Spirit Class ships. My wife could not enter or exit the stateroom with walker. I had to fold it and bring it in or out. Same as on Spirit Class ships. On the Triumph last month my wife could walk into the stateroom with walker fully opened.

The Casino was by far the worst I've ever played in. The dealers are all young kids. I've been playing Craps for more than twenty years which is longer since most of the dealers were in years on the planet. The Box Men they had weren't much better and exercised little control except to get into arguing over silly matters.

We had bad weather and the ship didn't seem to be able to handle it. We were on the Triumph last month and we were in bad weather too. The ship was more stable. On Triumph Class ships they could enclose the aft pool area. Can't be done on the Dream because of an open deck on the aft of the Lido Deck. It is an okay ship, but, one would have thought with all the ballyhoo about this ship Carnival could have done better.

Publication Date: 11/28/09