Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Nadinest

Cruise Date: November 2009
Cabin Category: 8C
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

If I wasn't sea-sick - I would have enjoyed more!!!
We left Miami and set off for Eastern Caribbean, with ports of call at: Half Moon Cay-Bahamas, San Juan-Puerto Rico, St. Thomas-USVI and Grand Turk-Turks and Caicos. The 1st night the seas were a little choppy and I became very dizzy. This dizziness was with me most of the trip. I used Gravol and sea-bands, but after a while, the dizziness affected me stomach. So, for 2 days I was very nauseous. I talked to nurse and found out that what the ships offered was very similar to the Gravol that I was already taking. She could give me a shot if I got to the point of vomiting. My husband talked to a lot of people who gave us lots of tips for sea-sickness;eating bananas, apples, taking ginger tablets(which the nurse also had a supply of), drinking ginger ale...and that my the end of the week, I would probably have my 'sea-legs'. The second to last night there, another passenger told be that the meds that the desk gives out are stronger than the over-the counter meds that I was currently taking. I questioned this because the nurse that I talked (Rebecca)to did not agree. I asked at the desk...1 lady said that are the same strength, but another said they are stronger...so of course, I had to try them. I did feel much better on our last day at sea...was it the meds...or had I gotten my sea legs...or was I just happy to be going home????

The ship itself was beautiful and very well organized. The workers were always very helpful and very courteous. Jose, our room steward, was the most helpful...as he knew I wasn't feeling well, he seemed to know when to knock on the door and offer towels, water, room service(he let me use his cell phone), but he also seemed to know when to leave me alone wen I felt my worse. he had kind words of encouragement, helpful tips..and very, very nice. We gave him an extra big(we thought) tip and he was most grateful and said'God, bless you both. I think he really appreciated it.

8258 8th floor - Near the elevators. Was pretty quiet, although near

the elevators. There was lots of storage space. 2 big closets and a big

closets with shelves. There is also space for clothes under the couch(2

drawers). There are also smaller drawers in a desk type thing...that

was good for underwear etc. The hair dryer was connected through the

wall, but stays in the desk drawer. You can stretch it to the bathroom

if you like. Above the desk was a huge mirror where you can do make up,

dry hair etc. A little safe is good for putting passports etc. it is

locked by using your personal credit card. A TV that swivels. A small

'cooler' this is not a fridge...suggestion...but ice in it if you want

to keep things cool. It is stocked with pop and liquor...but it is

costly. A few under shelves and more closed in shelves..and 2 little

night stands that you can put things in. Lots of storage space. We had

a balcony cabin which was nice. Every few days it gets sanitized-wood

and all, just like around the pool. Except the pool floors, steps, etc

gets sanitized every evening. Overall, I loved my room.

The buffet food was great. In a lot of the dining rooms off of the buffet lines, there is a constant vibration, that even made your water in the glass giggle. Is this normal? Is it because we are close to the back off the boat? This was on the 9th deck of 13,=...so i would think that is normal. It was quite upsetting to my poor stomach. The pool gets emptied every night. The pool decks gets sanitized every night, the woos steps and the exposed iron as well. I'm impressed with that. There are hand sanitizer att he end of each buffet line...I thought there would be more around the ship with the swine flu and all going on right now. Free ice cream all the time. it was soft vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream that you could put in bowls or use a cone. The huge 22 feet wide screen was great...played music through the day, had news on in the morning, the camera man's real-time videos were sometimes on there, at night there were music concerts(Tina Turner, Cher, etc) and later on there were family movies to watch(Madena goes to jail)...football on one evening.

Our 1st port of call was Half Moon Cay in the Bahamas. We had to be

tendered over to the island, It is only 8 miles long and 30 people live

there. it is owned by a cruise line - I forget which one...so no taxes

are charged. There were only about 6-8 little thatched roof stalls that

tshirts, straw hats, purses, and souvenirs were sold. Some of the crew

from the Liberty come to the island with us and sell drinks, cook the

huge buffet for dinner. The tender to the island was no problem. The

beach was wonderful, clean and the sand was like powder. There was a

volleyball tournament, which my husband took part in. He thought it was

very unorganized though. No one knew where the volleyball court

was...(the island's trails are like a maze), there wasn't anyone in

charges of it. So, a few people got together and just played...after

they found the court. There also a hairy chest contest...all run by the

crew of the Liberty. The drinks was constantly pushed at us..of course.

I loved this little island. There is a sign there that says:I wish I

could stay here forever'...which pretty much says it all.

After port on Puerto Rico, we were at sea for 3 hours, we then had a medical emergency and had to go back the 3 hours to land to a hospital for a guest. This of course, made us too late for our late port - Grand Turk. A lot of people were mad about that...turning the boat around for 1 person, and the other 3000+ people miss their last port that we all paid for. I have mixed opinions about this. Couldn't we have stopped at one of the other many, many islands??? If I weren't feeling so terribl;e i would have enjoyed this cruise. it would be something that I wouyld have loved to go every year.

Publication Date: 11/25/09