Crown Princess Cruise Review by luvbermuda

Member Name: luvbermuda
Cruise Date: November 2009
Cabin Category: AB
Cabin Number: D332
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Ida Didn't Stop Us!!!
We were worried that Hurricane Ida would ruin our cruise but it didn't. We had received word that our itinerary would be changed which worked out well!

Boarding was easy although we arrived right after 10:30 AM and could not board until 12 PM. It was a very pleasant surprise to find our room was ready! We were in a mini-suite on the Dolphin Deck - Cabin 332 which was a nice location. Our room steward, Edwin, was great throughout the whole cruise!! Our cabin was very nice but the bathroom was very small compared to other ships I have been on. There was adequate storage space in the cabin for clothes but the layout with the closet and shelves by the bathroom door was tight- and you had to close the bathroom door to get by. Other than that, our only complaint was no clock in the room. I realize you are not supposed to be on a schedule on a cruise but a clock is a necessity!!

The food was good - not outstanding but certainly good. My last cruise was the Celebrity Solstice and it's tough to beat that which was outstanding in every way so I guess I am prejudice! Previous also was the Norwegian Gem whose food was not as good with the exception of the specialty restaurants which were better. The breakfast buffet wasn't as good as other cruises- pancakes were not at all good and waffles were always cold - only flat squares of hash browns which had little taste. We ate at the Crown Grill to celebrate our 35th anniversary. We actually didn't find the food any better than the main dining room (I had lobster tails and my husband had filet Mignon). The sides they served were nothing special. The one thing that does stand out above other cruise ships is the pizza!!! Another problem we noted was the lack of servers at night in the clubs and their poor knowledge of the drink menu. There was one server in Club Fusion during a show with one bartender so you couldn't even go pick up your own drinks. By the pool, the server brought 3 wrong drinks to our party of six. It really depended where you were and at what time.

Princess Cays was very nice and we enjoyed our time there. We rented a clam shell which I would highly recommend. we did not use the floats or aqua chair as the water was too cold to stay long in. Our favorite was Grand Cayman where we booked a ship excursion for the dolphins/sting rays. It was wonderful!! However, the picture pick up took so long that we were only left with an hour to shop in town before we had to catch our tender. I could have spent a few more hours there. It was my favorite port. In Roatan, it rained but we did walk around the few shops there. We were docked but then to ship had to move and we waited in the pouring rain for a long time for our tender as it had to wait for a new ship to dock to get around it. Cozumel was nice. Our semisub tour was canceled and we took a private island tour which was okay. We stopped for a drink at a place along the coast but it was dirty and we chose to wait. We had a wonderful lunch in town at Margaritaville which was a highlight of the trip- lots of fun and good food. My friend and I had a spa treatment for Ladies Night Out which was very nice.

Princess is very organized with their excursions. We would not hesitate to book Princess again as overall it was very nice! The ship was immaculate and all the staff was very nice!

Publication Date: 11/22/09