Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by jofrank

Public Rooms 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Where's the Beef?
My husband and I just returned from a short ( 2 night) birthday trip to Nassau on the Bahamas Celebration.I booked this from the internet before I read the reviews of the ship and spent the week before the cruise "preparing" my husband for what I thought would be a disaster. As it turned out, I worried for nothing.

First of all, the ship is immaculate with all the amenities of a average small cruise ship. We were actually paying for our cruise ( not like some of the people we met who were given the cruise as part of a time-share pitch) so we had a good sized cabin on the 8th floor.

We ate the first night at the Rio buffet which wasn't exactly the kind of churriscaria (sp.?) you'll find in Rio or on Las Olas but certainly decent and plentiful. The 2nd. night we ate at the Chrystal Room where we had a wonderful served dinner including beef wellington. Here the only dress requirement was for the men to wear collared shirts and most people wore business casual with a few donning formal wear. Most of the other meals aboard ship were typical buffet ( one could choose to eat at a sit-down breakfast each morning in the Rio Room) but with a very nice variety.

The entertainment was also better than expected. They had several lounges with singers ( the country western one was excellent) and several very good shows with singers and comedians. Drinks on the ship were reasonable. Pools and water slide were working the entire time we were on board and they had several "clubs" for the kids but I didn't have any experience with those.

The weather when we were on Nassau was overcast and drizzly so very few people took advantage of the excursions to the beaches ( can't blame the ship for that!).There wasn't any pressure to participate in any of the excursions. My husband and I took the local bus(#10) to Cable Beach and spent the day wandering around the hotels and shops.Easy to do on your own.

The boarding and disembarkation were no more complicated than other ships we have been on. Parking in the garage was close and safe. The only other thing I have to add is that the staff of the ship couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. It seems there is a monetary ship's incentive for them to be mentioned on the review form and they go out of their way to be worthy of it. All in all, I have to say that if in fact the Bahamas Celebration was at one point as awful as the reviews had led me to believe, they have certainly gotten their act together.They now provide a very pleasant and reasonable way to spend a few days getting away from it all.

Publication Date: 11/21/09
Read the Bahamas ports review by jofrank
More Bahamas Celebration Cruise Reviews