Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by twostepmomma: Panama Canal...unbelieveable!

twostepmomma
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Panama Canal...unbelieveable!

Sail Date: October 2009
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: San Diego

What a wonderful cruise from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale. I must admit after reading some reviews about the Celebrity Infinity I was a little skeptical about how this trip would turn out. Also a little leary since it was going to be 14 day cruise.

This was a marvelous ship. The crew always had a smile on their faces and are always eager to please and help.

The ship itself was clean and spotless. For an older ship, it was very well maintained.

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Old Town. A great place. They pick you up at the airport and they will take you to the cruise ship, free of charge. The only downside is they don't have a continental breakfast, but 2 blocks away in Old Town you can find a really good breakfast for $2.99. Also there in Old Town you can pick up a trolley and tour the entire city in a couple of hours. There is some fun shopping in Old Town too.

Getting on the ship was one of the easiest I've ever More experience. Nice, friendly personal which are very helpful.

We enjoyed great food on the ship. The dining room had a good variety of offerings. The buffet in the evening offered a nice alternative...you could have sushi/stir fry or pastas and salads and some yummy pizza. Ice cream and yogurt was served every evening until 9. For breakfast, you had the usual buffet and dining room offerings but also a spa breakfast and lunch served in spa therapy pool area. This breakfast included low calorie foods and organic offerings. It was very nice and good. I had several breakfasts in this area. In the regular buffet at the back of ship was served hot while you wait waffles and pancakes. Very good.

The best part of our trip was our room. We did not get a balcony for this cruise. We opted to take the cheap seats this time. Our room was the largest inside room my husband and I have ever had. It was mid-ship and right across from the elevators. Being mid-ship, it had easy access to everything. Our room number was 7905. We would book it again and we are balcony people. Jose, our room steward was wonderful.

Other wonderful people on this ship were Denvill and Rowinna. Some of the sweetest servers ever.

The variety shows put on the by the singers and dancers were some of the best I've ever seen. The comedians were terrible. Half of the audience wanted to leave. That's bad.

The trip through the canal lasted the entire day. We perched ourselves up in the Constellation Lounge for the entry. After going through the Miraflores locks we moved to the Promenade deck to get up close and personal. You could actually hear us scraping the side of the locks.

We had a great naturalist on the ship who gave us the complete history of the canal the day before we experiences it. That was very nice. We knew what to expect.

I had read some very negative comments about the Infinity before this cruise... the air conditioning didn't work well, the food was terrible, don't get the room by the elevator, the service was horrible. All of these things I found to be false. I have cruised many, many times and I find some people never have good things to say about anything. My husband and I enjoyed this ship so much we wished we had booked it back to back.

All in all we had a pretty smooth sailing and great weather. Happy Sailing to you! Less

Read more Celebrity Infinity cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Infinity Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Infinity 7905

The best inside room we have ever had. Mid-ship and convenient to everything. Room #7905 on this ship is unbelievable.

This is a beautiful port. We booked our own little boat ride around Land's End. It cost only $10 a person. The ship would have charged us $40 each for the same thing. The beaches are very pretty but dangerous. We walked to Cabo Wabo, but not really worth it. Nice but not my favorite port.

Old Town Cartagena was wonderful. We got a guide to lead us around for $2 each. Took a $20 cab ride from the port to Old Town. Spent the whole day here. There is no shopping at the pier so make sure you buy all your souvenirs before you go back. The vendors heckle you to death. If you make eye contact watch out. It's hard to get rid of them. Keep in mind they are just trying to make a living. Things here are cheap if you haggle with the seller. This town has a sister city in Spain. It has the same look as this city. Be sure and get you some Columbian coffee.

This was an okay place. We didn't arrive here until after dark. Many shops closed but had a good time hanging out on shore. The Panama Canal T-shirts here were very cheap, $5, and you could try some of the the panama beer. There were several jewelry stores and they gave free charm bracelets. You had to buy the charms, 2 for $5.

Puntaraneous, Costa Rica

Great place to find great souvenirs and wooden bowls. Lots of locally made things. The beach is right off of the ship, but not as attractive as Hutalco. It's a black beach. It was warm and humid here, but remember you are in the Rain forest. Got some great stuff here.