Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by 2DesertGuys

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by 2DesertGuys
Radiance of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Member Name: 2DesertGuys
Cruise Date: October 2009
Embarkation: San Diego
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: JS
See More About: Radiance of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Rates 5+

Wonderful Cruise But Too Short!
We just returned from a Mexico-Baja cruise and had a very enjoyable time. We didn't intend to do a cruise this year but the prices were enticing and the need to get away pressured us. I'll attempt to describe as much as possible without any typing mistakes.

Embarkation - We parked at Mission Brewery at 12:15PM and were onboard by 1PM evn though San Diego seemed to be very chaotic. The Veendam was also sailing that day so we had alot of people roaming around. There where RCL staff inside the terminal to direct people and the lines moved swiftly, once though security RCL folks went left and Holland America went right. The Radiance sparkles, the public areas are spotless, the brass shines, the wood beams. It was good to be on her again, the crew is friendly and always seems to be making eye contact and greeting you. The servers after the first day greeted us by name, even on this short cruise. We did the required "assembly drill" but without having to wear the orange vest, that was very nice. The folks on the Veendam were not so lucky. We had signed on to MTD but never went to the MDR, to be honest the menu never prompted us to dress for that room. We were very satisfied with the Windjammer for just food and we had made prior arrangements for Chops and Portofino's. Windjammer was good, fresh salads, interesting dishes of which some where hit or miss. The speciality restuarants were exceptional. Great food and service. As an example the first night we eat at Portofino's, my partner had a concern about the sauce on the veal dish. The chef came out and discussed his concerns and then prepared a veal dish just for him, this was was an example of the service and customer service we received though out the five days.

We had two ports - Ensenada and Cabo San Lucas. Ensenada has a new marina where we docked but we didn't get off except to purchase some aspirin and Cabo is always a joy, even though they're redoing the main street which is making some major traffic conjestion. We saw all five shows, the RCL dancers were good and 2 out of 3 comedians were entertaining.

Finally our cabin, many folks have said the Jr. Suites are not suites. I disagree. When we finally sailed, we had upgraded ourselves to a Jr. Suite and were paying less than our original reservation for a D1 cabin. I was looked forward to the extra space. In addition to 50% more room, we had a walkin closet with bath robes and extra pillows. We had a bathtub, a deep bath tub and a tray of nice lotion, etc. We also had a nice balconey with a great view ( it was #1100)and two loungers, two chairs and a table that could actually fit a tray of food on it. I knew I was in a suite when two tuxed staff members from Portofino's delivered the confirmations for our dinner arrangements and rang our doorbell. (doorbell!) Juliana always took care of us, we had towel animals every night, sometime mornings! I always knew where to find my sunglasses, LOL! It was a great cruise with perfect service and accomdations. I'm not sure if I can afford to do a Jr. Suite again, but I don't think I cruise without one!

Publication Date: 11/12/09