Carnival Glory Cruise Review by 315sundown: Bath Robes and Cigarettes

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Western Caribbean Cruises

Bath Robes and Cigarettes

Sail Date: October 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

First, let me start with the good. The ship is beautiful and the rooms are as nice as any I've sailed. The room steward was excellent. Everything was cleaned and put where it should be and when it should be. When we boarded the Carnival Glory, I was proud that I had recommended this ship to the two other couples who were traveling with me.

The ports on this cruise were interesting enough with Cozumel being the most accessible and having the most interesting excursions.

As I said, the boat was gorgeous, but ... whatever possessed a group of people to travel between lounges, casinos, buffets, shows, bars, etc. in their bath robes?!?! Cruise ships are suppose to be fun, but there is also a level of elegance associated with cruising. This behavior was just plain crude and offensive to other travelers. It appears to me that Carnival should have enforced a more appropriate dress code in these areas of the ship.

Further, as I said, the room was very More nice, but the second you stepped into the hall the cigarette smoke was noxious. I have traveled many cruise lines, but this is the first where the smoke was almost intolerable. Only a few of the ships have trips that are nonsmoking, and there will always be some smoke in the hallways, but this was ridiculous.

Finally, the worst for last - the food. I traveled with five other people and the food was so bad, one of our party excused himself from the dinner meal two nights. The food was substandard and so was the service. There were long periods between courses and the food often came out cold. Prime rib arrived cold, au jus had to be requested, and when it finally arrived it was cold. I will say the cornish hen and lobster tail was excellent, but any beef product would have been better employed in shoes or a purse. Selections on the buffet were limited. There were multiple rows of food - but all the same food.

To sum it all up, this is the worst Carnival Cruise I have ever taken. As a matter of fact, this is the only Carnival Cruise I have even considered bad. When we were planning this trip and had a choice of cruise lines, my comment to others in my group was, "Let's take Carnival, they always treat you well." Not anymore folks! I'll be making other choices in the future. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Oceanview Riviera 1301

Very spacious and nicely decorated room. My exterior room had a large window and a good view of the ocean. The bathroom was spacious compared to many ships. My room was over the crew space, so there was a lot of noise during all hours of the day and night. Something below deck was hot and kept the floor of my room much too warm. The air condition couldn't keep up with the heat, so I resolved to sleep in my shorts in order to be comfortable.

I went on the least expensive snorkling trip in Belize. Good thing I did, because all of the snorkling adventures were put in a bull pen and everyone got the same tour. The waters where we snorkled were some of the least interesting I've experienced.

Costa Maya was so isolated from the town, and the pier was so long that, I decided to keep my 20 month old granddaughter and stay onboard to enjoy the day; however, my daughter and her husband did the jeep tour and had a ball. Part of the tour included lunch where they were told they were having chicken burritos. When the burritos were served, they were filled with potatoes. Still, it was a fun, fast paced, exciting day for them.

For those who want excursions there are lots of interesting destinations. A very nice display of well preserved Mayan ruins can be experienced at Tulum. If you like to shop, there are numerous stores available. Unfortunately, Carnival was docked in an area where a taxi was required to get into the town. It appears that the new buildings which were available for shopping close to the pier might have been associated with Carnival. You certainly don't get a feel for the town or the people unless you venture away from the docks.
Read 3105 Cozumel Reviews