Carnival Victory Cruise Review by catania10

Carnival Victory
Carnival Victory
Member Name: catania10
Cruise Date: July 2004
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8c
See More About: Carnival Victory Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Carnival Victory - Canada/New England
I sailed aboard the MS Victory on July 22, 2004 for my birthday, which is the same day. Upon arrival, the check in agent even noted it was birthday from my passport. It was also noted on my record from the travel agent I used. I told my waiter the first evening it was my birthday and he said that I could pay for a cake, I asked for a candle in my desert and he never produced one. So, how embarrassing is it to ask again. I was annoyed and embarrassed at the same time. How can I ask again? Then for the rest of the cruise, I watched as others around me all got celebrated similar occasions. Still no candle for me. What am I to say? I was appalled. Then, to top it off I had an entree I did not like so I did not eat it. He said, what is wrong and I told him I did not care for it. Do you think he offered me something else? He took it away and then came back to ask about desert. I was at table 233 the second late sitting. The waiter went by the name of Z.

The cabin was nice, however we were booked into a balcony cabin aft. I was sitting on the balcony when all of a sudden it starts raining suds. I guess they decided to swab the neck in the middle of the day without looking to see if anyone could be sitting on their balcony and getting them wet. Which, I thought was ridiculous here I am laying in the sun and all of a sudden I am soaked with sudsy water. Not very pleasant.

We never met out steward. I only know he existed because he cleaned the room. I tried to call him once or twice; to no avail there was no answer. I even knocked on the steward door and no one was there. I ended up leaving him note for extra towels and room service cards I wanted.

We finally arrived in Halifax, Canada and we booked two tours. The first one went off with no trouble. We took the afternoon trip to Peggy's Cove. We arrived at the designated area to board the bus at 1:05 p.m. 10 minutes prior to the meeting time. The bus was packed with families whom did not pay for there children. We were asked several times by the representative if we had tickets after I showed them to her and she said we were late there are no seats for us at all since we were late. We were not late I informed her. I asked if the tour was possibly overbooked she said she thinks there are two many non-paying children on the bus. Is this my error no? She then went back on the bus, came back a few minutes later and said we can sit a couple of rows apart is this problem. Yes, I said it is an hour ride to Peggy's Cove did I come alone? Why, should I pay $90.00 that's $45.00 a person to sit alone with someone else's children? She then went back on the bus rearranged a few people and got us seats together. We were then forced to go on the bus while everyone stared at us and she made an announcement that the tour was overbooked and that is why it was leaving late and that we had to sit together so she was sorry if the children had to sit on their parents laps. How embarrassing was this? Now, we have to sit with an entire busload of people giving us nasty looks. We get to Peggy's Cove, the bus breaks down. Now we have to wait in the rain for a new bus about 45 minutes. That by the way is short 5 seats. They have a school bus for the extra people. So, no one wants to go on the school bus, it is to hot no air conditioning. So, this tour guide crams in everyone with about 4 people to seat. I mean 3 kids, and one parent. One kid stood the whole way back, kicking and screaming. The tour guide she ignores it instead of trying to persuade the parents to quiet the child. Then after the hell ride back, she stands at the bottom of the bus with her hand out like she thinks I'm going to tip her. My husband was furious. He wanted me to go to the tour desk and ask for a refund. I was to exhausted with a migraine.

I found the trip overall a nice trip if you have children. I found there were to many unsupervised children wandering around and not enough activities to keep the adults or children busy. There was an afternoon tea service, but try and get a refill. There was no wine tasting only an art auction after 4 days of art auctions it gets a little boring. Even, a few more bingo sessions would have been nice. I do not think I will be sailing carnival again as I do not believe it is up to par with the other cruise lines such as NCL, Princess or Royal Caribbean. While the cabins are bigger the service is lacking. With automatic tipping the way it is the service staff does minimal and not above and beyond as on the other cruises. I also thought for a destiny class ship it could have been a little cleaner every single carpet I saw was heavily stained? What is that about? Can't they clean them? It makes one wonder about the cleanliness of the entire ship.

I wrote all of this on my comment card and never heard a peep from the purser or a Carnival Representative, I even sent comments via email to carnival when I returned and still have never heard again.

Publication Date: 08/05/04