Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by bigjohnwvu: Amazing Value-Great Service-All That I Wanted

bigjohnwvu
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Amazing Value-Great Service-All That I Wanted

Sail Date: November 2009
Destination: Bahamas

We flew into FLL and stayed in the Hyatt Plantation the night before our cruise. The Hyatt Plantation was a bit out of the way but provided airport shuttle and plenty of restaurants and shopping to pick up last minute supplies for our cruise. The Hyatt itself was very nice, comfortable and accommodated all out needs.

We had reserved limo service to POM with Pinnacle Transportation. Prior to our cruise I shopped for limo service and this was sort of a shot in the dark. I talked with Richard at Pinnacle and felt comfortable with him and his recommendations and could not have been happier. He arrived early and we had our own private shuttle to POM and arranged for him to pick us up for return to FLL at the conclusion of our cruise.

Embarkation was a breeze as others have noted. We arrived at port around 11:15 and walked right up to the check in counter and onto the ship to be greeted with a free glass of champagne. We changed clothes and enjoyed the pool, ate some More lunch and made friends with Ray the poolside bar waiter who was very accommodating throughout the cruise.

Our inside stateroom was small as we expected but plenty of room for the amount of time that we spent there. I am a big guy and had plenty of room in bathroom and shower. Our cabin steward, Jay, was extremely attentive,helpful and friendly and was a highlight of our trip. We ate in both main dining rooms and found the service and food to be good in both. The service in Crossings was above and beyond. We also ate in LeBistro and the mushroom soup and bouillabaisse was wonderful. The buffet was average but the pasta station in L Adagio was a plus. Remember that you can go there for omelet station and waffle station for breakfast. The line was typically shorter there. Late night snacks at Longboards was good as well.

We only made it to a couple of shows. The Broadway review and the Crew Review on the last night were very good. Leo in Captain Cook's lounge was enjoyable though I hear he is only there for a couple more weeks.

Matt Baker was an excellent cruise director and the life of every party.

At Freeport we went on a snorkel trip with Sand Dollar Cruises who I discovered on Cruise Critic and was not disappointed. Captain Tony met us at the taxi drop off. The snorkeling was great and this was one of the highlights of our trip. I highly recommend Capt. Tony and Sand Dollar Cruises.

At Nassau we took the water taxi to Atlantis, stayed about an hour come back to the ship for lunch and hit the Tortuga store as well as the straw market. Could not wait to get back to the ship but we did buy my wife's favorite banana rum and a purse.

We were delayed clearing customs to go to Great Stirrup Cay. We later found out that the reason for the delay was there was a death on the ship. My wife overheard the captain's conversation with the widow and was impressed with the sincerity, professionalism and service of Norwegian Cruise Lines.

Disembarkation was also a breeze. We opted to carry our own luggage off eh shp and after a leisurly breakfast waked right off the ship cleared customs and were transported to FLL by Pinnacle Transportation.

Overall I would rate this as a wonderful trip in all respects. I was a bit reserved about the freestyle dining as getting to know our wait staff on our prior cruise was a big plus. There was little or no fall off in service with freestyle and I would do it again. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky 0128

Inside stateroom was typical small but adequate and what we expected. The beds were very comfortable and the cabin steward was wonderful (Jay) I am a big guy and did not feel overly cramped. Certainly for a cruise where we were at port each day this was very adequate and just what we expected.

We thoroughly enjoyed our snorkeling trip with Captain Tony on Sand Dollar Cruises. We had heard of this excursion on Cruise Critic and were pleased that it was all that we hoped for and more. There were ten of us on the catamaran and we each got individual treatment. We motored out to Treasure Reef and put the sails up to come back in. Saw lots of different and beautiful fish and coral. This was a highlight of our trip and would definitely recommend it to future visitors to Freeport. Visited the straw market where my wife bought a sun dress and returned to ship for an afternoon of relaxing around the poor.

Read 775 Freeport Reviews

Took the water taxi to Atlantis. Stayed about an hour. Long enough to lose some money in the slots and look at the free part of the aquarium. Did the Straw Market and Tortuga Rum Store. We had to learn to tune the multiple solicitors out but were offered anything from drugs to Rolex watches and if we had paid attention probably would have been offered anything else our hearts could desire. I am usually not uncomfortable in situations like this but I felt a bit skittish and was glad to get back on board the ship.

Read 2631 Nassau Reviews