Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by bigjohnwvu

Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
Amazing Value-Great Service-All That I Wanted
We flew into FLL and stayed in the Hyatt Plantation the night before our cruise. The Hyatt Plantation was a bit out of the way but provided airport shuttle and plenty of restaurants and shopping to pick up last minute supplies for our cruise. The Hyatt itself was very nice, comfortable and accommodated all out needs.

We had reserved limo service to POM with Pinnacle Transportation. Prior to our cruise I shopped for limo service and this was sort of a shot in the dark. I talked with Richard at Pinnacle and felt comfortable with him and his recommendations and could not have been happier. He arrived early and we had our own private shuttle to POM and arranged for him to pick us up for return to FLL at the conclusion of our cruise.

Embarkation was a breeze as others have noted. We arrived at port around 11:15 and walked right up to the check in counter and onto the ship to be greeted with a free glass of champagne. We changed clothes and enjoyed the pool, ate some lunch and made friends with Ray the poolside bar waiter who was very accommodating throughout the cruise.

Our inside stateroom was small as we expected but plenty of room for the amount of time that we spent there. I am a big guy and had plenty of room in bathroom and shower. Our cabin steward, Jay, was extremely attentive,helpful and friendly and was a highlight of our trip. We ate in both main dining rooms and found the service and food to be good in both. The service in Crossings was above and beyond. We also ate in LeBistro and the mushroom soup and bouillabaisse was wonderful. The buffet was average but the pasta station in L Adagio was a plus. Remember that you can go there for omelet station and waffle station for breakfast. The line was typically shorter there. Late night snacks at Longboards was good as well.

We only made it to a couple of shows. The Broadway review and the Crew Review on the last night were very good. Leo in Captain Cook's lounge was enjoyable though I hear he is only there for a couple more weeks.

Matt Baker was an excellent cruise director and the life of every party.

At Freeport we went on a snorkel trip with Sand Dollar Cruises who I discovered on Cruise Critic and was not disappointed. Captain Tony met us at the taxi drop off. The snorkeling was great and this was one of the highlights of our trip. I highly recommend Capt. Tony and Sand Dollar Cruises.

At Nassau we took the water taxi to Atlantis, stayed about an hour come back to the ship for lunch and hit the Tortuga store as well as the straw market. Could not wait to get back to the ship but we did buy my wife's favorite banana rum and a purse.

We were delayed clearing customs to go to Great Stirrup Cay. We later found out that the reason for the delay was there was a death on the ship. My wife overheard the captain's conversation with the widow and was impressed with the sincerity, professionalism and service of Norwegian Cruise Lines.

Disembarkation was also a breeze. We opted to carry our own luggage off eh shp and after a leisurly breakfast waked right off the ship cleared customs and were transported to FLL by Pinnacle Transportation.

Overall I would rate this as a wonderful trip in all respects. I was a bit reserved about the freestyle dining as getting to know our wait staff on our prior cruise was a big plus. There was little or no fall off in service with freestyle and I would do it again.

Publication Date: 11/09/09
Read the Bahamas ports review by bigjohnwvu
More Norwegian Sky Cruise Reviews