Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by jeshghn: Fun and Adventure on the Spirit with very little bruising

jeshghn
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Spirit Mexican Riviera Cruises

Fun and Adventure on the Spirit with very little bruising

Sail Date: October 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

This was my fourth cruise in the last two years, my first time sailing out of West Coast.

First off the ship! I really like that there was four out door pools which ensured people were able to space out and you never felt crowded. I spent the majority of my time at the AFT pool and was always able to get a lounge chair by arriving at 10:00am, sometimes it did get busy but there was always a couple of empty ones. There was also the usual bar and ice cream stations in the AFT area. Every afternoon they also had a sundae bar which was wonderful with all the fixing you could want from crushed butterfingers to real whipped cream!

Lido buffet was always nice, especially the Asian station. My only complaint is that all of the stations are too far apart to make it easy to go back and forth. Staff needed to be more on top of getting clean glasses out, as several times the drink stations would have run out of them. I guess people are starting to follow the "no refilling" More policy.

I did the any time dining and enjoyed it. Several nights I was able to get a private table, other nights I did enjoy meeting people at a shared table. One night, I ended up being the center of attention when a rather tall older man, who a bit too much to drink fell on/over me while I was eating. He grabbed my face as he went down! I couldn't believe it! Got poked in the eye, had my ear ring pulled out and have a rather large bruise on my elbow from where I banged into the chair beside me. The staff handled the situation very well, I had three staff members checking on me to make sure I wasn't injured.

Karaoke bar was a blast thanks to some very talented and some very funny fellow guests and the very talented host Kay! Stu and Weezie did a great job organizing entertainment and competitions on the ship. I'm not much of a joiner but certainly did enjoy watching some of them and the people who did participate looked like they enjoyed it.

Halloween was well done with tons of decorations, special desserts, and a costume contest for guests! Must say some people really out did themselves with group themed costumes (Adams Family, Snow White and the seven dwarfs, Adam & Eve) and lets not forget the leg lamp from the Christmas Story. Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Balcony Empress 6256

Great view of of the coast and we were sailing into mexico! For this cruise you do need to be on the port side!

I did the Ancient Petroglyphs of Palma Sola tour and had a great time! They were not kidding about the 500 steps! Be prepared and bring water with you! The Petroglyphs were a sight to be seen and worth the trip. After we had traditional Mexican snacks (enough to make a lunch out of) and two free drinks at a restaurant with live music and dance. Then off to a silver store with more free drinks! They had great prices and there was not badgering like you see at other places which was a relief!

Read 149 Acapulco Reviews

Boring, boring! Partly my fault for doing the City Tour. Waste a money and from the tour of the city I am not sure of what else you'd want to do. Hopefully you'll pick a better excursion then I did.

The shops around the port were standard and you did have a lot of people approaching you to buy something in their store or bar!

This is also a Tender port and yet again I embarrassed myself by almost falling off in the morning when getting on the tender. Thankfully the three staff were quick to help me gain my balance. Again good job on the staffs part!