Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by TrixieLou: First Cruise - From the Sublime to the Ridiculous....

TrixieLou
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

First Cruise - From the Sublime to the Ridiculous....

Sail Date: October 2009
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was my first cruise. My cabin mate has been on several cruises but this was her first Princess experience. We didn't exactly "feel the love" - except from our Room Steward, Iggy, who was always outstanding and always smiling! The ship is beautiful and in tip-top condition. Our balcony cabin on the Riviera Deck Port side was immaculate and extremely well laid out. The open closet area is fabulous. Bathroom was small but not as tiny as I had been led to believe by other reviews. The balcony was our favorite - except when the neighbors started smoking cigars. Would love to see Princess institute a "no-smoking" deck of cabins or side of the ship.

Our service in the dining room was good to very good but everyone seemed tired and bored. The food in the dining room was excellent and very elegant. However, it took a lot of work to get anyone to smile. The Horizon & Caribe Buffet had the absolute worse service EVER. Definitely a NO SMILE ZONE. There were not enough tables More and once seated, it would take up to 10 minutes to get water or iced tea. Often times the servers would walk right by our table several times before stopping to see if we wanted anything to drink. By day three I was just serving myself drink-wise. The food was good in the buffet - plenty of salad and fresh fruit and a nice selection of pasta, meat, sandwiches and desserts.

It is quite obvious that the service staff is expected to sell drinks and if you want a glass of water, plain soda or fruit juice in a bar, expect to wait 5-10 minutes for it to arrive. I found this annoying. One night in Club Fusion we waited 17 minutes for two bottles of Perrier. I always got a grumpy face at the International Cafe when I used my Coffee Card for a cup of brewed coffee.

The entertainment was good - Bert Stratton is very funny and engages the audience. The Halloween decorations were amusing. The Halloween Party was kind of lame - it took forever to get going and was disjointed. It seemed like the various assistant cruise directors didn't know what was going on.

Best part of the ship - the Lotus Spa. My friend and I had passes to the Thermal Suite and used it everyday. The staff could not have been nicer or more welcoming. That's the kind of service I expected throughout the ship. Some of them actually learned our names - which on a ship with 3500 passengers is above and beyond; but everyone up there always smiled and asked "How are you?" "Did you have fun last night?" "What are you doing in port tomorrow?"

Overall - I'd cruise with Princess again but they wouldn't be my first choice. I'll likely choose based on itinerary and the ship. Princess did not win me over and I suspect that other cruise lines can match or exceed the service I received on the Caribbean Princess. Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess R326

R326 - Riviera Balcony Room Port Side. Quiet and great view. Rooms are small but well thought out. Excellent closet area.

(5.5)
This beach was awesome. It was a beautiful day and the excursion staff was very attentive. This location had showers and clean restrooms. You could place your lounger in the sun or under a palm tree. This was our best excursion.

Read 804 Antigua Reviews

Bermuda was lovely. Wish we'd had more time. We took the Glass Bottom Boat and Beach excursion. You don't actually dock at a beach, though which was a surprise. You could swim or snorkel to the shore.

Read 125 Hamilton Reviews

Loved the Clay Plantation. Really interesting and fun. The beach was good - though the dark sand was extremely hot and getting into the ocean was difficult because it was a rocky bottom. It took a while for us to get our loungers - they obviously weren't ready for us when we arrived at the beach. We got back to the ship about an hour later than expected which could have been a problem if we'd booked anything at the spa.

We went to the shopping district on an excursion which got us there 30 minutes before the shops were open. Don't go to the shopping district on the early excursion because you loose a huge chuck of shopping time and there really isn't anything to see in the shopping area.

Read 2333 St. Thomas Reviews