Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by jwlanclos: Great First Cruise!

jwlanclos
Member Since 2009

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Canada & New England Cruises

Great First Cruise!

Sail Date: October 2009
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

My husband and I were very apprehensive when we booked our first cruise. We have traveled through Europe several times always planning the trips independently, so freestyle cruising seemed the best choice for us. This turned out to be the perfect choice! We did whatever we wanted whenever.

Cabin 9006 is very near the front of the ship. I'm told that the front is a little bumpier than cabins toward the middle and back. Since this was my first cruise, I have nothing to compare this to but a couple of nights, it was pretty rough to me. The cabin itself was small but very organized with enough storage space for both of us. The balcony was great and the room was very quiet. We had no problems with this cabin at all and our steward was absolutely wonderful. The room was spotless and and clean every time we returned to it.

We ate at Tsar's for almost all our meals, since we are not buffet eaters. We also dined at Le Bistro, Cagney's Steakhouse, Mamma's Italian More Kitchen twice, Tango's, and Chin Chin. My favorite was Cagney's and least favorite was Tango's. The food was just so-so tex-mex. Not very tasty at all! The service in all the specialty restaurants was excellent.

I loved the fact that NCL had the hand sanitizers at every restaurant door and every time you returned to the ship. I'm very conscious of germs now that the swine flu is spreading. Good to know that a cruise ship is too!

We are not show enthusiasts so we did not attend any of the shows. We did play trivia several times and enjoyed that. I loved the library and the card room. We also loved to sit in the Spinnaker Lounge throughout the day--reading, napping, or just enjoying the view.

All in all, we will cruise again and with NCL. The next time, with patches for my husband! Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Nine 9006

We toured Boston independently using the shuttle. We walked around the area near Quincy Market and Faneuil Hall, eating at a wonderful little "dive" called Salty Dog's. The fried clams were great! Since we had been to Boston before and already done the touristy things this was a great choice for us.
Read 219 Boston Reviews

Charlottetown is a very small city which can be toured in under one hour. We cancelled our bus tour to Anne of Green Gables because of my husband's previous experience on a bus. We walked around the town independently and were back on the ship in a couple of hours.

We took the Peggy's Cove bus tour at Halifax. Our experience was marred by my husband's car sickness on the bus. The road was very winding and up and down and needless to say, he was sick by the time we got to Peggy's Cove and then we had to ride back. Peggy's Cove is very isolated with a small restaurant and gift shop. Neither sold any type of medication. I was told the nearest pharmacy was 20 minutes away. The view here was spectacular with huge stones left fromt the glacier and a very picturesque lighthouse. The tour was very well done and was worth the money to me but definitely not to my husband!
Read 342 Halifax Reviews

This was my favorite excursion! We took the walking and carriage ride tour which was well worth the money! Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and interesting. She kept the tour moving and on time. The walking was not too much and the carriage ride through Quebec very beautiful! We ate lunch in Quebec on our own and wandered though the city before returning to the ship.

Very picturesque little city coming into the port. It began raining as we walked into town so we ate lunch at a wonderful little pub, the Governor's Pub, and returned to the ship.