Carnival Victory Cruise Review by skye99: Great time on Victory

Great time on Victory

Sail Date: October 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

I was very nervous about leaving out of San Juan after reading the reviews about the ship. We did not experience any of the problems of other members. We flew into San Juan on the day before the cruise. Our hotel was the Conrad. Even though I booked it on price line, we were granted a request for an ocean view room. We had a relaxing night at the hotel and headed over to the cruise port at 11 the next day.

We were all checked in by 11:30 and had to only wait an hour to board the ship. We had lunch after boarding up on the Lido deck and the rooms were ready about 2:30. The bags were delivered in a timely manner. We had a wonderful vacation. The ship was crowded, but we didn't encounter any rude passengers as mentioned in previous reviews. Of course, to manage the crowds, you do need to be a little aggressive or people will step in front of you. There were lots of kids but not any more than on Splendor in January. If you get up a little earlier for breakfast (before 9), there is More more chance not to have to wait in line and to get a nice table with a view. Our stateroom was an ocean view on the 1st floor. This was convenient for leaving the ship. I thought it would be difficult getting up the elevators to the other decks, but it really wasn't. I did notice a few opportunities for cleanliness throughout the ship.(Carpet stains in the corridors, dusting, etc) This ship wasn't quite as clean as the Splendor. Then again, the Splendor was a newer ship.

We had the first seating in the Atlantic Dining Room. Our servers were Brijesh and Septa. Both were awesome and we had a great time with them. Our bar server was Nikola and she learned my wine choice after the first night and offered it to me each night after that. Fernando was our maitre'd. He was very professional and came over to greet our table each evening. On our last cruise, we never personally met the maitre'd, so we didn't feel obligated to tip him. We did give a gratuity to Fernando at the end of the cruise. On the last cruise, it seemed like our food always came out luke warm, but the food was served hot at every dinner on this cruise. Our steward was James. He was very polite and greeted us by name. He wasn't as outgoing as our steward on the last cruise, but he did a great job. My husband requested a towel turtle for me on the last night and he made one for me. We've been on Carnival before, so we were familiar with the layout of the ship. We visited 6 ports in 7 days. It was an amazing trip, but very exhausting. One thing that helped us was the earlier seating for dinner because we were able to attend the early shows. The shows were entertaining and very similar to our last Carnival cruise.

We prepaid for the Carnival transportation back to the airport. One thing they don't tell you is that the last run to the airport is around 12 noon. After that, they don't take anyone to the airport, only bring people from the airport to board the ship. We had a 5 pm flight, so we were in no hurry to get off the ship and weren't aware the last bus was leaving. We were planning to go into Old San Juan for a while before heading to the airport. We were tired anyway so it didn't matter too much. We paid for the express luggage service which I would highly recommend. We gave our flight info to Carnival and they printed our boarding passes for us and our luggage tags. When we got off the ship, we took our luggage through customs and handed it over to the port people. They transported it to the airport and to our final destination. When we got to the airport, we just had to go through the USDA inspection with our carry on bags which wasn't bad at all. There were just a few people in front of us. We didn't have to stand in line to get boarding passes and check luggage. The security line was long but we had 5 hours until our flight, so we weren't in any hurry.

This cruise was amazing. We loved every port and will always remember this vacation. We are planning another Carnival vacation in a couple of years. Can't wait to go again! Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Oceanview Riviera 1408

Ample storage space, didn't even use it all! Appreciated the sitting area with the couch and enjoyed the ocean view. Being on the first floor wasn't as bad as I thought as far as getting around to other areas of the ship. Noisy every morning pulling into port, this room is right on top of the propellers.

The ship docked in a nice area for shopping. There were regular shops and an open air market with local vendors. The prices were very reasonable and the people were so nice, not pushy at all. We got some great deals. Our shopping time was in the morning. We ate lunch on the ship and went on The Black Swan in the afternoon. It was an authentic pirate boat. I walked the plank and did lots of swimming. We got back in time to walk around a bit more and then back on the ship
Read 808 Antigua Reviews

I didn't see much of Barbados. I took a catamaran trip sponsored by Carnival. We stopped at a snorkel area to swim with the turtles. They were large turtles and so beautiful. We had lunch on the catamaran and stopped at another beach to snorkel and play. I had about an hour to shop at the port before going back on the ship. The port shopping was very nice.
Read 707 Barbados Reviews

Not much to do right at the port. We didn't have an excursion planned, but hooked up with a taxi driver at the port to go on a tour of the island. We saw lush vegetation as we drove up through the rain forest. We also saw some waterfalls and the sulfur springs before heading back to the ship. Dominica is a place you can't judge from the reviews. I was not looking forward to our stop here but was pleasantly surprised. ($25/pp, USD)
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

St. Kitts was a beautiful port. I wish we had more energy by the time we got here. I would have loved to take an historical tour of the island. We got off the ship around 11 and shopped for a few hours. The port was very clean and the stores were plentiful and had fairly good prices. There is a small open air market on the outskirts of the cruise port.

St. Lucia was amazing! We didn't have an excursion here but signed up for a land and sea tour after getting off the ship. It was an amazing tour. We saw some beautiful sights and it was about 5 hours long...well worth the money.($55/pp, USD) We went out on a boat to Soufriere and got into taxi cabs which took us to the drive in volcano, sulfur springs, and waterfalls that you could get into and swim under very easily. We then headed back to the boat and rode back to the ship after stopping at a beach for playtime and snorkeling. We had just a few minutes for quick shopping before having to get back on the ship.

We went on the mini boat adventure. It was fun. We rode in the boats to a reef for a stop to snorkel and then back to the port. We took a taxi downtown for shopping. St. Thomas is a beautiful place.
Read 2342 St. Thomas Reviews