Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Health Nut: Vegan Friendly & Plenty to Do

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Vegan Friendly & Plenty to Do

Sail Date: October 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was only our second cruise, having gone to the Western Caribbean before on a Royal Caribbean cruise in 2001 on the Nordic Empress. We found the Carnival Glory cruise to be very good and slightly better than our experience with Royal Caribbean. We are Midwestern, professional, no kids, and in our late 30s. I eat a pescatarian diet, meaning I eat no meat, eggs, or dairy, but I'll eat seafood. My husband will eat anything. Fortunately, the cruise dining staff was eager to accommodate my diet. I told our main waiter the first night and he had someone come over every night to help me pre-order my meal for the next night, making adjustments like using soymilk in a mushroom soup, making lasagna without the cheese, etc. She was very nice and helpful in suggesting options in preparing the food listed in their menu. Also, per her suggestion, I asked the buffet staff on the lido deck at breakfast for a cup of soymilk. It's not sitting out, but they will get it for you. I did wish More there were a few more bean options without cheese or more soy-based faux meats and more whole grains, but all in all, I was pleased with the food selections. I would suggest bringing a few protein bars and whole grain crackers if you are vegetarian/vegan. The Emerald Room Supper Club had wonderful food and service, among the best we've ever had, so consider paying the $30 upcharge per person to treat yourself and that quiet, romantic restaurant. I got the sole and it was a work of art and a delicious blend of flavors. Let me tell you -- there is no end to the temptation to eat more than you are actually hungry for (like dessert every night) so you want to find active things to do.

Their gym was quite decent, and what's better than looking at the ocean as you run on the treadmill or lift weights! They have Life Fitness equipment, ellipticals, bikes, steps, mats, and free weights. They offered Spinning, Yoga or Pilates classes for $12/each or $10 in a 3-pack. I passed on those, wondering how you'd hold a tree pose on the swaying ship. They also offered free fun half-hour classes in hip hop, disco, line dancing and the Thriller Dance. Those were fun and easy, not a workout, though. They do have a jogging track on the open upper deck, but it was too windy when the ship is moving. There are plenty of places to walk on the ship and taking the stairs is a good option. I actually found it fun to do some cardio, core and strength exercises in the small pool (all are saltwater). Bring your webbed gloves for resistance! It was quite awesome to workout in the pool in that setting. It was also fun to dance in the White Heat Disco Club, in which the DJ played cool, modern, dance club music.

Even after all that eating and activity, there's still plenty of time for rest and relaxation. The shows were great, particularly the Illusion one (even if you think it will be dumb, go, you'll like it.) A cruise, particularly the Carnival Glory cruise, is a delight for all the senses! Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

We were disappointed to find out that our kayaking excursion was cancelled due to a problem with the excursion provider's transportation. Instead, we just walked around town. Since it was Sunday, most shops were closed. Mostly just t-shirt and fine jewelry stores were open. We enjoyed a drink at Senor Frogs, where the staff are lively and fun.
Read 2644 Nassau Reviews

Our power rafting adventure was cancelled, so we took the catamaran/snorkel/beach trip instead. The long catamaran ride was lots of fun, the beach was beautiful, and the snorkeling sucked. I took a dramamine and was totally fine, (coming from someone who often gets nauseous on the plane). They offered copious amounts of rum punch and sub sandwiches, if you're into that.

Our ship stopped at St. Thomas (which we didn't visit) and we took a tour to St. John's to snorkel. They took us on a double-decker boat to the island, and then a open air shuttle to Trunk Bay beach. As it is an American national park, the guide clearly explained all of the rules about preserving the natural beauty of the underwater life, beach and park. The snorkeling was awesome! You snorkel right off the beach, heading over towards a small island. The hard and soft corals were actually alive and we saw dozens of varieties of fish! The beach was about 1/3 mile long of white sand and the water was turquoise. We had about 1-1/2 - 2 hours to snorkel and/or walk on the beach.
Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews