Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Health Nut

Member Name: Health Nut
Cruise Date: October 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Vegan Friendly & Plenty to Do
This was only our second cruise, having gone to the Western Caribbean before on a Royal Caribbean cruise in 2001 on the Nordic Empress. We found the Carnival Glory cruise to be very good and slightly better than our experience with Royal Caribbean. We are Midwestern, professional, no kids, and in our late 30s. I eat a pescatarian diet, meaning I eat no meat, eggs, or dairy, but I'll eat seafood. My husband will eat anything. Fortunately, the cruise dining staff was eager to accommodate my diet. I told our main waiter the first night and he had someone come over every night to help me pre-order my meal for the next night, making adjustments like using soymilk in a mushroom soup, making lasagna without the cheese, etc. She was very nice and helpful in suggesting options in preparing the food listed in their menu. Also, per her suggestion, I asked the buffet staff on the lido deck at breakfast for a cup of soymilk. It's not sitting out, but they will get it for you. I did wish there were a few more bean options without cheese or more soy-based faux meats and more whole grains, but all in all, I was pleased with the food selections. I would suggest bringing a few protein bars and whole grain crackers if you are vegetarian/vegan. The Emerald Room Supper Club had wonderful food and service, among the best we've ever had, so consider paying the $30 upcharge per person to treat yourself and that quiet, romantic restaurant. I got the sole and it was a work of art and a delicious blend of flavors. Let me tell you -- there is no end to the temptation to eat more than you are actually hungry for (like dessert every night) so you want to find active things to do.

Their gym was quite decent, and what's better than looking at the ocean as you run on the treadmill or lift weights! They have Life Fitness equipment, ellipticals, bikes, steps, mats, and free weights. They offered Spinning, Yoga or Pilates classes for $12/each or $10 in a 3-pack. I passed on those, wondering how you'd hold a tree pose on the swaying ship. They also offered free fun half-hour classes in hip hop, disco, line dancing and the Thriller Dance. Those were fun and easy, not a workout, though. They do have a jogging track on the open upper deck, but it was too windy when the ship is moving. There are plenty of places to walk on the ship and taking the stairs is a good option. I actually found it fun to do some cardio, core and strength exercises in the small pool (all are saltwater). Bring your webbed gloves for resistance! It was quite awesome to workout in the pool in that setting. It was also fun to dance in the White Heat Disco Club, in which the DJ played cool, modern, dance club music.

Even after all that eating and activity, there's still plenty of time for rest and relaxation. The shows were great, particularly the Illusion one (even if you think it will be dumb, go, you'll like it.) A cruise, particularly the Carnival Glory cruise, is a delight for all the senses!

Publication Date: 11/02/09