Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by sept10dsm: Oct 17 to 24, 2009

Compare Prices on Caribbean Princess Canada & New England Cruises

Oct 17 to 24, 2009

Sail Date: October 2009
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We sailed on the Caribbean Princess on October 17-24, 2009. This was our first time aboard this ship but the 3rd time doing this itinerary on Princess. This time we did travel with my daughter and her husband along with their 1 1/2 year old son. One thing that I was VERY surprised at was that Princess had NO baby changing tables in any public restroom. (there was plenty of room)

We live about 40 minutes from the port so we drove to it and parked at the port. There was no hotel or transfers.

Embarkation: We dropped off our luggage and my husband parked the car. Everything went smooth. We arrived about 11:30 and were on the ship by about 12:30. The cabins were ready and we ate lunch in the buffet.

Stateroom: We had an obstructed OV cabin and this was the most obstructed we have had. I'm not complaining, just stating fact. Many ask about how obstructed a particular cabin is. The only time we could see anything other than light was at Bar More Harbor when the lifeboat was used as a tender. Our stateroom steward was OK. He did his job but we rarely saw him. The only requests we had were to remove the bedspread (he was reluctant - don't know why but he removed it), put on a top sheet and 2 wine glasses. He did all 3 but didn't replace the wine glasses without asking again. The cabin was kept clean, but he also was slow to replace shampoo and soap. On other cruises, I was more impressed with service and felt the urge to tip more, not this time. My husband did leave a little extra but I wouldn't have. He wasn't even around when leaving either.

Dining: We ate most dinners in the Anytime Dining Room (Island). We ate at table 278 and had the BEST waiters. The next night I asked for the table and it wasn't available. I just thought it was taken but we found out from the assistant that the Waiter had to be moved to the Palm dining room due to illness of a waiter there. Every night this assistant (Mycanos spelling not correct) came over to our table and interacted with my grandson. He was so sweet with him. Most of the waitstaff looked forward to seeing him since he had fun waving and smiling at them. I found out that many have small children at home and miss them so much! We did tip the waitstaff as we ate there additional amounts and really wanted to. They were so surprised at a 1 1/2 year old table manners. He can say please and thank you! The food was fine but I found was somewhat not quite as good as past Princess cruises. I did order fresh berries each night and they did bring large bowls of them!

We ate at the buffet and it was pretty crowded most of the time. At odd times it was crowded as well. There were a few times we had to go even outside to find a table. The food was OK. I mostly had salads and fruit and they were fine.

We had room service each morning for tea and coffee and light items. The service was on time and the food/drink as ordered.

We did have the coffee card and my daughter and son in law enjoyed the specialty coffees (that we don't really drink) while we had brewed coffee most days.

Entertainment: We did enjoy Bert Stratton's nightly performance at Crooners. He did heard my grandson clapping and played a few songs for him on a couple nights. In fact when he heard him laughing and clapping he said "is that Tommy?" One thing about Bert was that we saw him in a hall by our cabin walking past. I said hello and he did hear me but ignored me. I guess he's different on stage than in a regular setting. I found that a little rude, but I guess accepted. (we weren't bothering hie either, just a hello that he heard but didn't respond to)

We did watch the Piano Man and it was pretty good on it's last show. The wind was strong and they still performed and very well.

We visited the Casino on a few nights. Along with the Formal nights they had another no smoking night that we were VERY happy with. It was still crowded, in fact more so, I think.

Shore Excursions:

I will write in detail for each port visited.

We missed Newport due to high winds (up to 70 knots) and somewhat rough seas (we have been in worse on a previous Canada/NE cruise)

We did not do any of the ships excursions. We did purchase the bus to the historical district in Boston.

All other ports we did 100% on our own as the port really was close to what we wanted to see.

Disembarkation:

Princess has a silent disembarkation now. It was fine. One thing was that I did check to make sure that both my daughter and our cabins would disembark together. We were travelling in the same car. I checked the day before at the Purser's desk and was told we were all scheduled together. I didn't check our luggage tags until the day of disembarkment since my daughter said hers was at 10:20 as ours was. I found out that we were in different meeting places. I was concerned but was told we could just say together. We had no problem after that nor with finding our luggage. We were met by a port worker and he helped us right up to the car! Customs was fine as was getting our car at the port. I found the parking to be a little on the high side (143 for the week) but it was NY! Less

Read more Caribbean Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Caribbean Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Caribbean Princess E622

We were in E522. It was an Obstructed Ocean View. I realize that many ask what the view is on these cabins. Well, this cabin let light in. There was no view except the life boat. I didn't have a problem with this since that's what we booked. The cabin was quiet and clean. We were close to the laundry but you wouldn't have know it except for the sign on the door. The cabin is near the stairs/elevators for the dining rooms.

Bar Harbor is a wonderful quaint town. We visited Acadia National Park on Oli's Trolley. We had done this on our other 2 visits. We were going to do the tour on the National Park bus tour (just to check it out) but were told that it was closed for the season when disembarking the tender. We booked with Oli's and were told that we would have to pay for my grandson even though he was under 5 and their sign said no charge. It was only $5.00 for him but they knew he wouldn't be sitting alone since he's a baby. We had a great trip up to Cadillac Mountain. The sun was shinning and the view great. If you love the outdoors and beautiful scenery, don' miss this trip! The tender process went fine and the seas were very calm here. The town had many sales due to our cruise being one of the last, if not the last, to visit for the season. We did eat lunch, sorry I can't recall the name and had lobster rolls which were ok. We got 10% off due to riding Oli's Trolley. It was right next to where the Trolley parks now. Rating not 5+ due to Oli's Trolley charge for infant, other wise the rating would be the highest.

We love Boston and have visited before on 2 previous cruises as well as by driving. We took the ship's bus to the historic area and walked the Freedom Trail. We had a cool, but sunny day to do this and all went well. The Constitution was closed (Monday) and that was a little disappointing for my son in law since it was his first time to Boston. The Freedom Trail is well marked and a great thing to do while visiting Boston, especially the first time. On the way back, we ate at the Oyster House. What a disappointment. We walked in about 2:00pm, so after the lunch rush. The person seating us rolled her eyes when we came in. I don't think she noticed that I saw it until I asked if we were bothering her. Then she was quick to say hello and get a table. The waitress was very slow and uncaring. The people next to us had to ask 3 times for the check. We were given our soup at the same time as the entree and the food was not really good for the price. My son in laws glass was chipped and I had to go to the bar for replacement. No waitress in sight!! When we finally got our check, we waited about 15 minutes and I had to go back to the bar to pay. They couldn't take the check there but found the waitress. I don't know what the problem was with her or the place for that matter. Never again! The bus service was very well handled on both ends with Princess. The lower rating was due to our food experience and the fact that the stop (this cruise) was scheduled when the Constitution is closed.
Read 223 Boston Reviews

We visited the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax. The cost is about $7 per person. It is an informational museum and has some Titanic artifacts. We have visited in the past and do like to see the portion of the exhibit that changes. This time it was about tugboats; not the interesting to us but I guess part of what maritime is all about. On our last visit they had a Pirate exhibit-more fun!! We walked up to the Citadel and didn't go in this time. It is a steep uphill climb. The Citadel is worth visiting if you haven't been before.

We ate at a place called Durty Nellies. The food and service were fine. I had a fish sandwich with yummy soup! They also had a house beer that was pretty good. I like to try local beer and wine. This was light (I like light beer) and tasty. We were delayed in Halifax due to a line being caught in the propeller.

Read 352 Halifax Reviews

St. John is a very friendly port to visit. Upon arrival, each lady is given a live rose and each man a pin. When leaving, a bagpiper plays as you leave. A nice touch.

I have always wanted to visit the tidal changes at the Bay of Fundy. On our past 2 cruises that visited St. John we didn't go. This time I found out that you could walk there so we decided to do so. The walk had been described as a nice scenic walk. Well, the first half is; it's a path mostly along the water with some information describing the area and some park benches. The second half of the walk, although it has a sidewalk, is along a 4 lane highway and huge steel (?maybe something else) companies. I felt the second half of the walk was somewhat dangerous and definitely not scenic! There was no restroom along the way or not even any place to stop!! I did cross the 4 lane highway and used a bus stations restroom.

After that we ate lunch in the buffet on board. We have visited the Loyalist's house on past cruises and it's interesting to visit.