Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by Lisou: Single mom with a 6 year old on Western Med Cruise

Lisou
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 5.5

Compare Prices on Voyager of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Single mom with a 6 year old on Western Med Cruise

Sail Date: October 2009
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

This was my sixth time in Europe and my second cruise. However, I must admit, it was my favourite vacation!!!

Embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze compared to what I remembered on a previous cruise.

This was my second cruise and both times, I chose to rent an inside stateroom because I cannot justify paying the extra price for the little time spent in the cabin. The cabin was compact, clean and well maintained -- it reminded me of an RV. I was satisfied and next time I cruise, I will likely rent an inside stateroom again!!!

Activities and entertainment on the ship were plenty and had something to please every taste, interest and age group.

All staff were superb and made us feel like VIP for the week.

My 6 year old daughter participated in the children`s program and loved it. This also allowed me to have some free time to rest and take advantage of activities that did not interest my daughter. In the end, we were both More happy, content and felt that we each had a holiday on our own and together - perfect combination!

Marseille was to be our last port, but unfortunately, we were not able to dock due to weather conditions. It was a busy day on board, however, I only felt that the boat was crowded at breakfast in the Windjammer, the rest of the boat was fine. I took advantage of the day to rest and take advantage of the boat amenities. Unfortunately, the weather was not nice enough on this day to sit out on the deck and the boat was a bit rocky which gave me a bit of sea sickness. Less

Read more Voyager of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Voyager of the Seas 9589

I also hired a private driver for this area, Giovanni through Sunflower Tours. Giovanni was also very knowledgeable and attentive to our every need. We visited the town and tower of Pisa and then went on to the town of Lucca. Lucca was my favourite port...it is such a charming town. We rented bicycles and rode on their wonderful bike path and had plenty of time to lounge around Lucca in a relaxed atmosphere. Another splendid day!

(5.5)
I hired a private driver, Cattelo, through Francesco Marapese. Cattelo speaks English and French fluently and was knowledgeable and conscientious to our every need.

We visited the ruins of Herculaneum, we climbed up Mount Vesuvius and we ate pizza at Brandi`s (the original pizza restaurant of Italy!) -- all in all a superb day!

Read 643 Naples Reviews

We took the train from Civitavechia into Rome and took a subway within Rome. I had been to Rome before so my daughter picked what she wanted to see. She chose the Coloseum and the Trevi Fountain. We also walked around a bit and had gelato. Another superb day all around!!!

Villefranche was a tender which means that we docked a little way from shore and had a ferry bring us to town (it was still very close - a 5 min ferry ride). I had been to this area before and did not have anything special planned. My daughter chose to stay on board in the children`s program and I only took a quick tour of Villefranche. I was on port for about one hour. It is a charming community to lounge around and rest. I had been to Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo before so did not venture out to these communities, however, they are very close by train and bus if someone wants to do this, it is quite feasible.

I was also looking forward to a relaxing day on board the boat.