Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by 8kidsdog: Bumpy Ride

Bumpy Ride

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Harwich

I had been anxiously awaiting the transatlantic cruise for months and it was finally here! We spent 3 amazing days in Paris, no snobby or unfriendly Parisians were encountered, and 2 in London. Even though the itinerary of the transatlantic cruise said Paris (Le Havre), the city of Paris is 2 1/2 hours away by train or bus! No way was I not seeing the Eiffel Tower sparkle at night! We arranged for our own transportation to the Harwich Terminal and it took a good 2 hours from London. The train stops right at the Terminal so next time that will be the method.

The check in was a breeze and we were off! I was disappointed by the cabin, so small, and it was a balcony on the 6th deck. The beds are horrible!! Those egg crates for padding that they try and appease you with are just as bad. Room service was punctual but was never hot when it got to our room. Our attendant was exceptional as was all the service throughout the trip. The crew make the experience since you're spending More practically 24/7 together. The ship is showing its' age. I was disappointed with the entire cruise. Amazing with the 3 other reviews on the same ship, we could have such different experiences. The food was ok at best and the only good meal was the Parade dinner.

The entertainment was ok, the activities were the same. The bingo king was obnoxious while he took he was being cute. The shore excursions were varied and well organized. I'm not sure if the excursions at St. John, NF were cancelled because of the bumpy ride or the fact that we left Reykjavik 3-4 hours late! We were on board before departure time (remember they'll leave you behind) and we saw bus after bus pull up and watch as it snaked through the port building to get everyone back on board! What a joke! The sea were high between Scotland and Reykjavik and then onto Canada. The dining was sparse a couple of nights and the entertainment cancelled. I felt that the quality of the Celebrity cruise had slipped since our last cruise. While you think you'd be treated differently, the specials offered on board were better than what they offered their repeat customers. Shame! Some cabins lost their luggage for the entire trip from the Celebrity transfers out of Heathrow airport. We had to lend them some of our clothes because Celebrity had only given them complimentary laundry services at the time. Can you imagine a 2 week cruise with the clothes you wore on the plane? Yikes!!

I chose this cruise because of the Celebrity name, the ports and because it was my husbands' first trip to Europe. However, it will probably be my last cruise with Celebrity. Outside of the amazing service and crew it was just an ok ship with ok food and entertainment. Less

Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>

It was easy getting off the ship. You can see the Statue of Liberty so if you get up early, you pass by. It was less expensive for us to rent a limo and fly out of Kennedy than Newark. FYI.

The hop on and off bus tour is the thing to do in any city. You have time to explore at your leisure and take your time with your own interests. The Guinness factory is a must see! If you check the Internet or coupon books around town, you liable to get discounts. The view from the 8th floor is spectacular!!
Read 77 Dublin Reviews

We went to Greenock, not Edinburgh, but that wasn't listed as a port. It was by far my favorite! The people were incredibly friendly and went out of their way to make you feel welcomed. We went on a tour with the local historical society and I'm glad we did. I would have wished to see Glasgow or Edinburgh but we'll save that for another trip.

Le Havre was a cute port and since we had time to kill before our excursion we explored the area. It has a cute area not far from were we docked but there is so much more past that!!

The people are incredibly friendly. If you can, try the Peppermint Nobs, a local candy made there in St. John's. The pubs are fun with alot of Irish influence which was surprising. The town looks alot like San Francisco with the Victorian buildings.