Carnival Victory Cruise Review by Sherlock40: Carnival Victory, a victory at sea!!!

Sherlock40
Member Since 2009
1 Post

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Victory, a victory at sea!!!

Sail Date: October 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

This was our third trip with Carnival, and first leaving from San Juan on Carnival Victory. We stayed at the Sheraton just about a block away from the pier, so it was easy to grab our bags, and walk over to the ship. We got to the pier around 11 a.m., and were on around 1 p.m.

Positive: Overall I would say the trip was great. The weather was wonderful (except for an occasional shower), many ports to visit, and activities to enjoy. We made two great friends, who dinned with us at the late dinner (Hi Donna, Barry:) Our room (with balcony) was located on the Lido deck which made getting something to eat, or jumping in for a fast swim in the deck pool a breeze. We enjoyed numerous excursions. One of the highlights of the trip was the last night show of Carnival Legends where passengers put on a show playing such famous persons as Frank Sinatra, Madonna, and the king himself...Elvis! The staff was always friendly, especially those who took care of our room. They were so efficient More that if you got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom you found the bed made when you got back :)

Negative: I have read where other people have talked about the sometime rudeness of some of the passengers on board. Unfortunately I experienced the same thing. When it came time to come on board the ship, it was nothing but shoving, pushing, and cutting in line. Same thing happened time, and time again when waiting for elevators, or getting something to eat on the Lido deck. I have also traveled on two other Carnival ships, and never had to wait in such long lines to just grab a fast bite to eat. I know you're there to relax, and normally there's no reason to be worried about time. But when you have to stand in line for about half an hour just to grab a hamburger, and fries, it gets a little tedious.

My wife and I had late dinning, and while the dinning staff were very friendly, for some reason found it took a long time to get done with the meal. I would say on average it took two hours from start to finish, one time almost two, and a half hours. When you start eating at 8:15 and don't get done until 10:30, it eats up a lot of your time. Plus, it made getting to the shows somewhat difficult.

Disembarkation was a breeze, got to the airport early, so had no difficulty getting our tickets, and getting through security. Only hard part was knowing that we wouldn't be walking back onto the ship :(

Overall though enjoyed our time aboard Carnival Victory, and while probably would not want to do so in the immediate future, wouldn't mind cruising once again some time down the road. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

We decided to be adventurous and go on our own at this island. Took a taxi with our friends Donna, and Barry, and went to Dickinson Beach. We saved a ton of money going here ourselves. Spent four lovely hours on a beautiful tropical beach, soaking up the sun. Note, be sure to put on lots of suntan lotion. Only problem we had were some small jelly fish came in with the tide, and gave us a couple little stings (zaps, not sure exactly what they do). Except for that, it was a wonderful place to hang out.

Read 808 Antigua Reviews

Shipwreck Snorkel & Pirates Party Cruise: Had a great time. Go snorkeling off shipwreck, slide down 70' long slide into the water, then a great GREAT pirate party. Just make a note to watch that rum punch, it'll knock your socks off. Heck, your socks, shirt, maybe even your hat :)

Read 707 Barbados Reviews

Did not do any excursions on this island. Only walked off the pier where we were inundated by peddlers selling the same stuff booth after booth. And, turning away people who for some reason kept trying to sell me drugs. However, there was one bright spot. Can't remember name of the store, but if you go off the pier, and go left for about a block there is a little restaurant / store where you can purchase internet (for wireless computers) for $2 an hour. Gave me a chance to touch base via email.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

Sky Safari Zip Lining: This was one of my wife's favorite excursions on our trip. Even I who am afraid of heights, had a great time on this one. The harness system, spring stopping system, etc. made this excursion safe, and fun. Only problem was it was so bloody hot, that by the time we finally got done with the whole thing I just wanted a nice cold drink. Only to discover the drinks they had in the refrigerator were only luke warm. Oh well, still better than nothing! But the excursion was great zipping over trees, across a valley. Like I said, even though I'm somewhat afraid of heights, I had a great time, felt safe the whole time, well worth doing.

Sky Canopy & Aerial Tram: Will be honest, this was the most disappointing excursion we took. The ride to the tram was something out of Indiana Jones as our driver swung the bus around hairpin corners, and cars parked in the road. Our guide did an excellent job on the tram pointing out the different trees, plants, etc. Unfortunately there really wasn't much to see as this was off season, so few flowers to look at. For the price ($130 pp) it really wasn't worth it. If I had to do it over again, would skip this and use the money for something else.

Boss Underwater Adventure: My wife and I did this excursion and had a great time. Basically ride underwater scooters using diving tanks and underwater helmets connected to the scooters. Was fun, something we wanted to try. It was a little murky and couldn't see very far (even with my glasses on), and had to stay in a group which meant you couldn't go exploring on your own. Controls were easy to operate, though steering was a little difficult at times.

Overall, it was a fun thing to do. Crew was great, water was warm, and got a lot of good underwater photos.

Read 2342 St. Thomas Reviews