Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by bckw3476

Carnival Triumph
Carnival Triumph
Member Name: bckw3476
Cruise Date: October 2009
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 4e
See More About: Carnival Triumph Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Service Not Rated

First Time on Carnival
I will do my best to just give a facts only analysis of our experience of the Canada/New England cruise on board the Carnival Triumph. Sailing Date 10/10/09

Embarkation: Getting on the ship was a breeze. We arrived at approx 2:00 and we were on the boat in about an hour. Lines were long but they moved fairly quickly. I was pleased with embarkation.

Stateroom: Once on board we went to our stateroom #7301 and found our luggage waiting for us. The inside state rooms are very spacious and my wife and I had plenty of room for our things. We would have liked to had a few more hangers but that is the only thing I can think of worth noting. The stateroom was very clean and in good shape. COMPLAINT: This state room is greatly affected by the vibrations created when the ship is moving. This was my 4th cruise and I have never felt, heard or experienced a vibration like I did on this ship. It was so bad it would wake us up at night. You can see where other passengers have stuffed paper between the ceiling panels, light panels etc... in effort to stop the rattling noises caused by the vibration. Once you would get one rattle stopped then a new one would appear. It bothered me worse than it did my wife. I had to finally just resign to the fact that i would have to live with the noise. it wasn't worth me getting upset over and ruining my vacation but it was an issue that I struggled with all 7 nights.

Food: Chicken fingers, pizza and fries from the grille were very good. I highly recommend dipping whatever you can in the honey mustard sauce. Overall the food in the south beach was average to below average. I thought the selection was somewhat limited. The Deli was good. The deserts were hit and miss. Some great and some not so great. Everything we had in the dining room was top notch. I would recommend eating in the main dining room if possible. The food quality is just that much better. The lines in the south beach on lido deck could get rather obnoxious at feeding times. on several occasions we walked in there for either breakfast, lunch or dinner and just turned around and did something else till the lines eased up.

Ports: It's my opinion that the ports of call are really what the individual cruiser makes of them so I don't have much to comment here. We enjoyed the ports we visited.

Disembarkation: We opted for the self assist, they called our deck at about 7:45 and we were literally on the streets of NYC by 8:15. It was a breeze. We had a late flight and were looking at sitting at the airport all day but we were blessed with a conversation with a lady while in line to leave the ship and she told us about a place that we could check our bags so we could go explore the city until our 5:30 flight. The place was the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd & 9th Ave. We were able to check our bags (for a fee) at the Greyhound baggage terminal freeing us to have a wonderful day in the city.

Overall we had a good time on the cruise. The weather was unseasonably cold so that made it hard to be outside much while we were at sea. We would have liked to enjoyed the nightly movie played on the outdoor screen but it was just too cold and windy. The ship is somewhat hard to navigate. Not every deck goes thru to where you need to go. You do have to go up or down quite alot to get around the ship. I liked the cruise director and thought he and his staff did a good job. My wife didnt like them. We went to 2 shows and they were okay. I dont think that we got the "most cruise for our buck" with Carnival. I will include Carnival in future cruise considerations but think it would be highly unlikely that we cruise with them again.

Publication Date: 10/21/09