Carnival Glory Cruise Review by mooc1

Cruise Date: September 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 8D
See More About: Carnival Glory Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Detailed: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly
My wife and I have been on 5 cruises, this being our 3rd Carnival cruise. We chose the Glory because we were looking for a southern Caribbean itinerary and needed to cruise in September.

We flew into Orlando the day before our cruise and rented a car (Thrifty) to get us to Port Canaveral(PC). It was less expensive than any ground transportation transfers and it gave us the flexibility once at PC to eat dinner, go the the grocery store, etc. We had made reservations at La Quinta and checked in...after seeing two rooms (both rooms smelled like mold) we checked out and stayed at the Marriott. It was a good thing we had a car!

The morning of our cruise, we drove over to Thrifty and returned our car. They quickly bussed us over to Carnival's terminal. We arrive around 11:00am. Embarkation took around 20 minutes...it went very smoothly. I recommend showing up early as we did!

THE SHIP: The Glory is a very clean ship but it is showing its age. If you're looking for a flashy ship that's jaw dropping, the Glory isn't your ship. The fitness center is small but functional. The spa (hot tub) in the fitness area was also small and wasn't very functional. The 2 pools were also small. The pool areas weren't overly crowded, there was always loungers available. Although we didn't gamble, the casino seemed smaller than other ships I've been on.

THE ROOM: We stayed in room 8269. The room was clean and centrally located. The only negative to the location was, you were able to hear the below average "lounge singers" until around 10:30 pm. Although they were singing on Level 4, we were close to the open foyer area. The balcony was a little small, but functional. We spent a lot of time out there in the morning drinking our coffee.

Breakfast: The food served on the Lido deck was terrible. I'll leave it at that. We ate our breakfast in the dining room which was much better. We only used room service for our early morning coffee, which was nice.

Lunch: The Lido food was "adequate", I guess. I chose to eat food from the sandwich deli which was great and the pizza was also good. We ate in the dining room a few times. The food was much better than the Lido.

Dinner: The food was very good. I'm not a vegetarian, but the vegetarian dishes were excellent. I had a veggie dish just about every night.

ENTERTAINMENT: I was impressed with the nightly shows. The cast seemed to be having a great time and were entertaining. The "Illusionist" show was excellent. The live singers on the ship were sub-par. I'll leave it at that. I didn't see the comedians at the comedy club, but I heard from others they were good.

Itinerary: We didn't spend much time in the Bahamas. We only had time to see Atlantis. St. Thomas is a phenomenal island. We went to Megan's Bay which is beautiful. St. Marteen was also a very nice island. We went to a small beach (I can't remember the name). It was awesome and hardly no one was there.

We chose not to do any excursions offered by Carnival. Here are a few TIPS if you plan on doing what we did. BE AWARE: If you plan on taking a taxi in the Bahamas to go see Atlantis, don't get caught up with the driver's who try "herding" a bunch of cruisers into a large van. Those driver's try to keep you together as a group and wind up taking you other places as well. Those poor cruisers who got "caught up" with these driver's didn't have any flexibility at all. Find a driver with a small car or van and it should cost around $5.00 p/p one way. In St Thomas, a taxi ride to Megan's Bay cost $17.00 for both of us one way. No issues with the driver's, in fact they were very good. In St Marteen, the taxi ride cost us around $8.00 p/p one way to the beach we went to. BE AWARE: When we were at the taxi stand, they tried putting us into a van that was packed with other cruisers. The van was going to another location first BEFORE taking us to our beach (we were the only ones going to that beach at that time). We said "NO", and they got us another van for ourselves. We went straight to the beach!

Disembarkation was seamless and efficient. We purchased transportation transfers back to Orlando airport vise renting a car. It was more convenient on our return.

Overall, the cruise was fine...it's what you make of it. I'll cruise CCL again, but probably not on the Glory. I'm sticking to the newer ships.

Publication Date: 10/21/09