Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by usha: X lover goes on first Royal Caribbean cruise.

usha
Member Since 2001
4,212 Posts

Compare Prices on Enchantment of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

X lover goes on first Royal Caribbean cruise.

Sail Date: October 2009

We recently returned from Enchantment of the Seas October 8th 4nt cruise. It was our very first on Royal Caribbean. We booked this cruise because it fit the time window we had available, we liked the itinerary (Key West and Cozumel), and the price was great!

First off, let me say that we both really liked the ship. Enchantment is very, very pretty. I especially thought that the Orpheum theatre was lovely. The atrium was really nice, but it was always full, so we didn't get to spend time there. Every public area seemed to be very well-maintained, and I was impressed that you could even see they were beginning to repair the outer hull damage caused by the "attack" of the Carnival Legend LOL!

Our inside cabin (2623) was really small, but very nice, with plenty of drawer space (way more than we needed for 4 days!) and closet space. The bed wasn't the most comfortable, but it wasn't the worst, either (Princess has the WORST beds!!!) I must say, it was heavenly to be on More a completely non-smoking deck, by virtue of RCI's smoke-free cabins! Bless you, Royal Caribbean!

I was unpacking our stuff, and realized to my shock that there was one drawer FULL of women's unmentionables! Also, in one of the behind-the-mirror shelves, there were other items the previous cruisers had forgotten. This was a definite first for us; in 28 cruises, we've never found stuff left behind by others (eek). We bagged it all up and took it to guest relations. (in hindsight, we should have turned it over to our cabin steward, but hindsight's 20/20, right?)

Speaking of our cabin steward, he was a really nice guy named Dennis from Costa Rica. He did everything in his power to make us comfortable and happy, bringing us bathrobes, extra towels, refilling the shampoo, extra bags for our laundry... he was a sweetie!

We had My Time Dining, and it worked out great for us. We visited the head waiter on day 1, and requested a standing reservation for a 7:15 pm table for 2. Poof! Our wish granted, and we had a great waiter & assistant waiter each evening. We learned quickly that we should heed the waiter's recommendations for what to order. When we ordered the "right" things, they were great; when we went off and ordered something else, we regretted it.

The Windjammer Cafe was really hit-or-miss, but we sure didn't starve. Some days, it was really hard to find two seats to have breakfast. We only ate one lunch there, the first day when we boarded; after that, we sort of grabbed hot dogs & fries or something & went outside one deck above the pools to eat.

That brings me to the pools...What a lovely pool area! Too bad they're not really doing anything to keep people from bringing their diapered infants into the pools! At least they've figured out a pretty good deterrent to chair hogs with the towel check-out (and the $20 fine for not turning in towels!) Chair hogging seemed to be a minimal problem. Noise was a maximum problem, so DH & I spent most of our sun-time up in the front of the ship, by the bungee-trampolines, that were almost never in use. It was roomy, peaceful & quiet, except for those INFERNAL Bingo announcements that seemed to come blasting out of nowhere.

The entertainment was good-to-very good. The absolute best show we've seen at sea consisted of the kids in the children's program all dressed & acting as pirates, crawling with their little paper knives & swords in theirs mouths down the aisles up to the stage in the Orpheu theater. They put on the cutest, most entertaining show EVER! They were obviously REALLY into what they were doing, and bravo to the staff who had worked with them to orchestrate this whole thing! It was just adorable! We loved it; it was a highlight of the cruise.

One "entertainment" thing that we found really quest-ionable was "Quest", the bawdy, raunchy gameshow that is evidently very popular with the vast majority onboard, but we felt it was way more denigrating than it was entertaining, and we left after about 10 minutes, when the gameshow host called for "RED PANTIES, I NEED A PAIR OF WOMEN'S RED PANTIES!!!" I was standing there wearing a red dress, with bare legs & high heel sandals, and another female passenger came up and asked me: "Do you have red panties????" Okay, that was enough....

One other thing about this cruise that was different was how few people really dressed for formal night. My husband wore his tux with tails & white tie (he was lookin GOOOOOOOD :), and I wore a black & beige lace gown. I don't think there were 5 other couples we saw all evening that were really dressed formally. Oh, well, it sure made US look smashing :)

I would go on another Royal Caribbean cruise myself, but my husband wants to stick with Celebrity or Holland America, for the better food. But you never know.... Less

Read more Enchantment of the Seas cruise reviews >>