Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by macksmom330: Holy Ship!

macksmom330
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Explorer of the Seas Bermuda Cruises

Holy Ship!

Sail Date: October 2009
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

This was DH and I's first cruise so we weren't sure what to expect. I read all the other reviews of the ship so I could try to get a feel of what I was getting myself into.

We got to Bayonne at around 1:00 and were on the ship by 1:30-1:45. It was a very easy and painless process. I was actually suprise and how quickly everything went. We got on ship and ate lunch at the Windjammer, then went to our room. I must say that the interior staterooms reminded me of a sardine can, but it was okay because we were only in there to sleep. I will say that I didn't much care for the flushing mechanism of the toilets though because they flush normal and then have a vaccum sound at the end that's kinda loud. So I hated to flush the toilet! Meals at the windjammer were about a 3-4 rating. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. You had almost the same food every breakfast. My only complaint was that the pancakes were always cold, which to be expected on a buffet line. The wait More staff were very friendly and were so quick to clean up tables and take away plates.

We had our dinners in the Magellan dining room on deck 3, main seating at 6:00 pm and had a fabulous time. We looked forward to ever dinner. Waitstaff Simeon and Desmond were phenomenal. I enjoyed the food...it was great. Especially the BBB dessert. Get it if you get the chance!!!

Casino was really nice but kinda smokey. Didn't do so well on the slots, but I had a great time at the blackjack table! Bar services were good but sometimes you had to wait a while for a drink. But most of the drinks were made strong. My suggestion to you is that if you like soda and have 2 people in your group...one of you buy the soda package for $35 and you kinda split it...One person uses the refillable mug while the other uses the card to get soda in a glass. This is what DH and I did. It was just rediculous to do it any other way. And yes, we did manage to smuggle some booze on board. We had 2 camlepacks filled with stuff. I pack DH some jim beam and I made some malibu bay breeze for myself. didn't have one problem getting it on!

Pools were nice...not many people in them. It seems like everyone wanted to use the hot tubs, which I didn't go in. I went into the pool once, and to my suprise it was filled up with salt water. I never knew that!

They had plenty of activities, but not many appealed to us...art auction was cool but REALLY expensive! The ice skating show was great, and the dancing/singing was soso. The only complaint I have about the shows is that most of them started really late. Like the Marriage game show didn't start until 11:15 pm, and a comedian we wanted to see didn't go on until 12:15. That is way too late in my opinion! I think they should make their programs start a little earlier!

Bermuda was really nice. It was nice the first day, and it rained the second. A bus/ferry pass is a must!!! You can't really walk to anywhere worth touring. Horseshoe bay way beautiful, but I'd recommend getting a $2 taxi ride to the top! Fort Hamilton was really nice also. Didn't make it to St. George's!!!

All in all, we had a great cruise and I would go again! One more tip...if you are thinking about getting their credit card, wait until the 2nd to last day. In the beginning they were offering an extra 5,000 points when you sign up...went to the art auction and they gave you an extra 5,000 points! Pretty cool! Less

Read more Explorer of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Explorer of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 8 9225

Cabin #9225 was nice. There wasn't any noise from the engines or anything, and it wasn't near any elevators or stairs...very quiet!