Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by arby70: Very comfy!

arby70
Member Since 2005
1,150 Posts

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Canada & New England Cruises

Very comfy!

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: Boston

We really enjoyed the NCL Spirit. She was easy to navigate; even had color coding of the carpet to help you figure out if you're aft, forward or mid ship. We had a balcony cabin on deck ten, just shy of mid-ship. Very comfortable and much roomier than I expected. Our cabin #10628 was fairly roomy for the 2 of us. The closet and storage area was quite adequate and our big suitcases fit under the bed. The balcony was of good size. We loved the coffee pot in the room. No fridge, but our room stewards kept us in ice. The bed was very comfy. TV was a bit small but adequate and we liked to check out the info channel as to where the ship was, water temps and depth, etc. The bathroom was fairly roomy and the shower was a good size with a glass door rather than a flimsy plastic curtain. Water stayed in the shower and didn't get all over the floor. Only 1 outlet in the cabin itself, but we brought an extension cord. We found our cabin to be quite soothing, and it was extremely More quiet. We spent quite a bit of time in our cabin so it was important to us and having the balcony was a real treat.

The crew was always pleasant and had a smile and greeting for you. Our 2 cabin stewards kept our cabin very clean and well stocked; we tipped them extra for all their effort. We thought the ship to be well kept and saw people fixing, cleaning and painting quite a bit. We enjoyed our itinerary even though the weather didn't cooperate sometimes. Generally the rain held off while we were at port though. The ship had only 1 rocky night out of 14, so we got real lucky there. I slept through that rocky night, so it was a piece of cake for me. My husband and I are a bit prone to sea sickness, but we never once felt sick on this cruise.

We liked breakfast in the buffet and the dining room; neither was better than the other. We liked the breads baked on the ship; pretzel rolls and breakfast rolls were fantastic. Coffee was tolerable if you added hot water. The Blue Lagoon was pretty good. I know that food is subjective and that most people seem to like it, but my husband and I did not care for the menus at all. We tried both main dining rooms (have the same menu and galley), and the flavors and choices were just not to our liking. The prime rib was well under 1/2 inch in thickness - I'm from Wyoming and I've never seen it cut this thin. The buffet was not our cup of tea either for lunch and dinner. There appeared to be too much repetition (buffet had the same basic 7 or 8 desserts every time). Also many things in the buffet appeared to be leftover type foods made into something else. We had a hard time finding something to eat at lunch and dinner. They did have a salad bar everyday and a sandwich bar sometimes too, but I must admit that I was very disappointed in lunch and dinner on this cruise. I don't think it was the ship, but the menus and food types themselves. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck Eleven 10628

Our cabin #10628 was fairly roomy for the 2 of us. The closet and storage area was quite adequate and our big suitcases fit under the bed. The balcony was of good size. We loved the coffee pot in the room. No fridge, but our room stewards kept us in ice. The bed was very comfy. TV was a bit small but adequate and we liked to check out the info channel as to where the ship was, water temps and depth, etc. The bathroom was fairly roomy and the shower was a good size with a glass door rather than a flimsy plastic curtain. Water stayed in the shower and didn't get all over the floor. Only 1 outlet in the cabin itself, but we brought an extension cord. We found our cabin to be quite soothing, and it was extremely quiet. We spent quite a bit of time in our cabin so it was important to us and having the balcony was a real treat.

I have always loved the town of Bar Harbor with it's quaint building, and Acadia Park was as lovely as always. We used Acadia Bus tours and they were great; very funny and informative tour bus driver.

We did one of the hop on and hop off trolley tours for 2 days. We went to Harvard, did a cruise on the Charles River, saw Cheers, the USS Constitution, the State House, the Granary Burial Ground, the Boston Common and toured thru Back Bay, Beacon Hill and North Boston's Italian area. Lots of history and enjoyed that. Saw alot of great old buildings, but really didn't have time to see all that we wanted, but saw the main things on our itinerary. Unfortunately ran out of time to take a trip to Salem; would have loved to have done that.
Read 223 Boston Reviews

Loved our tour to Peggy's Cove. We also enjoyed their marine museum.
Read 353 Halifax Reviews

Loved Portland with it's quaint seafront. Loved the bright red tugs that were everywhere along with all the lobster boats. We took the Lighthouses of Maine tour and it was great.

I felt like I was transported to Europe. Beautiful old building and wonderful history. I wish I had booked a tour here; but we walked both the Upper Town and the Lower Town in the old part of Quebec City. Just gorgeous.

Walked around on our own. Town seemed nice, but we really didn't get out in to it as much as we should have. I think it had alot of nice excursions but we opted not