Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by laraja: Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera

Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera

Sail Date: October 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

My husband does not relax like "normal people" and, unless they would agree to let him work in the engine room for the duration, cruising doesn't appeal to him. I absolutely love it, so off I went on my own.

Embarkation in LA was extremely efficient, no more than twenty minutes from curbside to stateroom. My stateroom was clean and comfortable. Odd duck that I am, I seem to be one of the few that has never had a complaint about Princess' mattresses. My only complaint about the ship was an occasional "funky" odor in the hallway and on the Promenade Deck. That and the fact that I did not do my homework well enough to realize that the Video Arcade was directly above my stateroom. Small inconveniences, not enough to obsess about.

I opted for traditional dining at a table for ten, knowing that while I was not obligated to eat there every night my chair would be waiting for me without reservations should I choose to. My table-mates were varied and interesting. Overall More the food was good, some of it excellent. While the service provided by my particular waiter was not as good as I had experienced in the past, it was by no means poor. The deck stewards and buffet stewards were wonderfully friendly and attentive. I liked the fact that the Sapphire has deck chairs on the Promenade Deck, great for reading or just watching the ocean go by.

I took the Ultimate Ship's Tour, offered on our last sea day. Although it was a tad pricey I felt it was worth every penny and would recommend it to anyone who's curiosity radar goes off when they see a "Crew Only" doorway. From what I understand a lottery is done on those who have signed up and only a small group is taken (there were eleven of us). Photos are not allowed, but we were accompanied by a member of the photography staff and the pictures she took, as well as a chef's coat and plush robe were delivered to our staterooms that evening. We toured the backstage areas of the Princess Theater with some of the performers, The Medical Center with the Doctor (who is an absolute hoot!), the Galley with the Executive Chef (who had a lovely snack waiting), The print shop, photo lab and laundry with the Purser, the Engine Control Room with the Chief Engineer, and we climbed up into the funnel with the Staff Captain. Last stop was the Bridge where the Captain posed for individual photos and presented each of us with a souvenir of our voyage.

My advice to all cruisers, be it first-timers or seasoned, is that your trip is what you make of it. Treat your servers and stewards with respect and you will get wonderful service. When you have to wait for an elevator, look around, realize where you are and how lucky you are to be there. My cruise was not perfect, but it was wonderful. Less

Read more Sapphire Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sapphire Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sapphire Princess Oceanview Double Emerald P300

I chose this specific cabin while booking. I had been in a cabin in the same location on another Princess ship and enjoyed it. Cabin wise: What you would expect from an ocean view cabin. Both closet and cabin had more than enough space, keeping in mind I was travelling alone. Location wise: Close to the forward elevators, low in the ship (Deck 5). Pros: I personally like this area of the ship. For my wants and needs I find it very convenient. Also, low hallway traffic. Cons: Didn't realize 24-hour video arcade was directly above me. A few bumps and thumps at night.

Keep in mind that in a tender port everyone wants to be the first off the ship so there are usually crowds, especially in Cabo because sailing time is so early. Most organized tours meet on the ship and tender to shore together. for me, waiting to leave the ship proved to be a good opportunity to meet the other people who were be on my tour. I participated in the Sea Trek Helmet Dive. From a dive platform we descended a ladder into the water while a helmet (connected to an oxygen tank on the surface) was placed on our shoulders. A tour guide and safety diver in full scuba gear awaited us below. We strolled along the bottom of the Sea of Cortez for about a half-hour, fed the fish and played some underwater frisbee. If, like me, you forget your underwater camera on board, they sell them on the platform for $20. A very enjoyable experience.

Stayed aboard ship, read and relaxed all day. Easy to do with so many people ashore.

Read 289 Mazatlan Reviews

Disembarkation was quick and efficient. I spent my day at the Dolphin Discovery Center. They offer various programs with both dolphins and sea lions. I chose to swim with the dolphins. We had about 45 minutes in the pool with the dolphins. They swam among us to be petted and hugged, kissed us for the camera, and gave us belly rides (cameras aren't allowed but their photographers are snapping pictures the whole time). The photos were available afterwards for $25 each (an additional $10 if you would also like your photos on a CD). A buffet lunch followed, then back to the ship. A great day, I highly recommend it.