Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by yab123

Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: yab123
Cruise Date: September 2009
Cabin Category: L
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Spa & Fitness 5+

The cutomer relations team are definitely the poor relation
With the exception of the customer relations team, I must say that the rest of the staff were truly amazing. Especially Yavuz and Jim Brown our waiters and Jennifer in the Hoof and Claw - hope they take their excellent service ethos to Oasis with them.

There are excellent public areas and the entertainment is really good. The only criticism I would have is that the pool areas are small for such a large crowd. I do think that this has a price though and the food quality is not as good a standard as on some of the other ships and lines we have been on. I overheard a couple of return guests bemoan the lack of pillow chocklates and complaints that toilet tissue was of a litte more inferior quality. And I would give the windjammer a wide berth especially at busy times. A cattle market comes into my mind. You should give an even wider berth to the Customer Relations Team. Who really need to revisit the term customer service.

My family recently purchased a cruise as a celebration for my 50th Birthday. Though certainly no newcomer to cruising, I had never travelled with Royal Carribean before. I can't fault the ship's facilities, it's public rooms or it's bar and restaurant staff. Customer relations on the other hand are a totally different matter.

My family were on a budget and booked us an inside cabin. I wouldn't have but we have stayed in inside cabins on other ships and had no problems. This was not the case on Liberty of the Seas. Be aware that if you book one of these cabins and ask for a double configeration you will not be able to access the bed unless you crawl from the bottom. The bed reaches to within a couple of inches of the sofa at one side and the cupboards at the other. I have rhuematism in my knees and was not physically able to do this. Nor should you be expected to. On other lines they will tell you when a cabin is not suitable to be converted to a double. Not here.

We noticed this problem within 30 minutes of boarding and went straight to customer relations. I was somewhat upset by the process not least because of how diapointed and let down my sister and husband were who had booked the trip. I explained that I was physically unable to access the bed. We would have paid for a different cabin if necessary. We didn't want a fuss. The man on the desk took all our details and said they would try and resolve the issue when everyone had checked in. My sister went back as we were sailing. She was told to come back at 7pm. We did. It was clear that no message had been passed on and that they were not willing to do anything. We were told to come back after St Maarten our first port of call three days later. After a long and heated discussion in which we reiterated that I was unable to access the bed, the rather patronising woman said that she could seperate the beds and we could have single beds. Not a solution I was happy with as this was a vacation with my husband for a special occassion. However we had no choice. We continued with our already ruined evening after missing the show and returned to our cabin at the end of the night. Guess what - no change; still unable to access the bed. My husband put his brain into gear and removed a bedside cabinet and shoved the bed up against the wall. It did for that night but I was clearly upset and distressed and slept very little. The next morning I rang and asked to speak to the hotel director. The customer relations manager rang me back - I went to see him. Amazingly with some effort they managed to change my cabin, although they didn't inform the Steward that we were moving into the new cabin good job we did. But the damage had already been done. The magic had well and truly evaporated and the 'special' occassion was near ruined. We got on with the cruise and made the best of our time and met some great people and staff. BUT

The saga does not finish here. As we were packing on our last nigth our Steward brought a bottle of champagne and vodka to our room and said these were for us. We thought a belated service recovery attempt by the non customer relations team. I packed them in our suitcase not very impressed. How wrong we were. Before 5.00am the next morning we were telephoned by my favourite department demanding their bottles back. They weren't ours. But they were gone in our luggage. They said they would have someone waiting for us at the pier to take them back. We felt like criminals; I was really upset as now we would have to open our suitcases like thieves in full public view. Well they had a long wait. It was two and half hours before our last suitcase turned up on the conveyor belt. There was no one who was willing to assist other than to tell us we'd have to fill a form in if they'd lost our luggage. Well Royal Carribean your two bottles of alcohol are sat in my living room waiting for you to come and collect them. You have my address.

Publication Date: 10/14/09