Carnival Pride Cruise Review by kandrsmommy

Carnival Pride
Member Name: kandrsmommy
Cruise Date: August 2009
Embarkation: Baltimore
See More About: Carnival Pride Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
        10-12 1.0
        13-15 5+

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
THE GOOD: We arrived at the port around 11, found it very easy to drop off our bags, park and get ourselves in the waiting area. We did have to wait about 2 hours before we were allowed on board. No complaints, be sure to bring a book or something to do.

The food overall was good, not a good variety (see the ugly). We enjoyed room service several times during the week for both lunch and breakfast. Order the chocolate cake for room service. Never saw in for dessert any where else. Yummy. This is different than the chocolate melting cake, which is beyond yummy!!

Room was nice, clean, our attendant was fantastic and tried to fix issues that came up (see the bad for further explaination). Heard the lower rooms are noisy, but we did not hear any noise and we were under the casino.

Plenty of things to do, or not do if that is what you wish. My daughter (13) loved the Circle C. Tons to do for her and she has been texting and facebooking the friends she made since returning. I can not say enough about Mary, the leader of Circle C. She was wonderful with the teens.

Service for dinner was very good and our waitress would bring my son his special kids meals every day. He likes the kids meals, but they are too small, so he always ordered double. By the 3rd night, she knew this and brought him 2 with out asking. No special orders were turned down.....very nice lady and even got my 13 yo DD to dance with her!!

Did sit down for most breakfasts, all dinners and couple of lunches. Love it!! It was very relaxing, they did not rush, and a couple of time we had window views without asking.

Lots of kids on the ship, incl. my 2 and friends 1. Really did not see lots of kids except pool, so we went to adult pool when DS was not with us. Saw some packs of teenagers later at night, but they were behaving. Trust me, I was paying attention since I had one involved. Worse thing that I saw was someone pushing all the buttons on the elevator.

THE BAD: When I walked into my room I notice the bed was sagging (yep it was so bad you can see it in our pictures!!) I said something to the attendant and he tried to fix it with cushions and such, but nothing worked. The bed needed to be replaced. He told me he does not have the authority to do this but would bring it up to his boss. No one got back to me. Meanwhile I could not sleep in the bed, it was awful. I had my 10 y.o. son sleep there (he volunteered) and I slept in his bed. I finally went to the info. desk and complained. Nothing happened still. Told them to take the tips off of automatic and what do you know, the next day we got a new bed!! Coincidence???? Yes, I did tip our attendant.

My 10 year olds group was not so fun. There were some fun activities, towel folding, scavenger hunts, etc. But he was not thrilled at the times they played Brain Quest. Too much like school. A group of 10 year old boys were left to color with paper and crayon. To many board games. No balloon fights, sports etc....Circle C did, so why not the younger kids? He was excited about the talent show until they told him it was only singing or dancing. No piano was available. Really??!! Luckily he is an easy going kid and enjoyed most of the shows with us and the pool, but I think he missed the kid time he has had on other ships.

Buffet was not that extensive and closed way too early. Went for a mid-night snack and they only had pizza. They closed at about 10pm. Never saw this on a ship. Did not want to do room service since DS was sleeping. Buffet did not have kid friendly choices either. Son had to go to pool buffet (small) for burgers and hot dogs. Would have been nice to have something at main buffet. Luckily DS is old enough to go by himself. I would not have been happy if I had to go there too. We only ate at buffet couple of times.

Slide only open certain hours. Not sure why.

Yep, lots of chair hogs at the kids pool. Could always find a chair at the adult pool. I have no issues with moving someones stuff if it sits there for more than 30 minutes. Had one person come back 1 hour later and complain I was in their chair. Told them the stuff was folded and placed under the chair when I arrived and went back to my reading :P

THE UGLY: My friend who was with us went to make sure her son's card did not have charging privileges. Assured he could not. Meanwhile, son spent $5 at the arcade using his card. Friend went to complain and manager told them they need to control their son!! Keep in mind, the son is 13 y.o. and was in Circle C at the time. No "sorry, we messed up, let us credit your account". Just blame on the parent.

My DD and DH went on the Discover Scuba excursion. They brought them back 45 minutes early, with no explanation. Went to the excursion desk to get some sort of refund (not full amount, just partial) and they said they wanted to contact the provider first (fair enough). Provider denied bringing them back early. Carnival had them coming back onto the ship about 30 minutes early, but refused to listen to the fact that they had to walk back from where they were dropped off before they got to the ship and that takes time. Anyway, no refund of any sort.

On of the dealers in the casino got nasty with me for standing too close to the table as I was watching my DH play. OK, I get it, I can't stand there, but you could ask nice.

We went to the piano bar for some music and no one was there! Not even the piano player. We rechecked the capers, and had the right place and time. Bartender had no idea what was going on. Need less to say, I talked my DH into this once and it did not happen again. Oh well.

We tried Carnival because we live close to Baltimore. Not sure I would do again esp. since RCC is bringing a new ship there. May have to get a GREAT deal.

Half Moon Cay Wish I could live there!!!! We did the Swim with the Stingrays. We all loved it and I would even do it again. Friends rode the horses on the beach and also had a wonderful time. Guy next to us gave my kids his inner tube when he left, which was very nice and kids had fun with it. We snorkeled right off the swimming beach and saw some fish, a stingray and a sand dollar. Very hot, so bring water!!

Publication Date: 10/10/09