Celebrity Century Cruise Review by jntsfbay: Great friends+ideal weather+good ship = Wonderful Journey

jntsfbay
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Celebrity Century Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Great friends+ideal weather+good ship = Wonderful Journey

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

The cruise framed a magnificent experience we had with friends new and old, saw awesome sights, basked in ideal weather, steeped ourselves in culture and history, and enjoyed outstanding cuisine. The cruise itself was not the end and be all as we had projected so it wasn't disappointing nor was it spectacular. It was great ship to come home to and recharge as every day was eventful and required lots of energy.

I'll go over the few cruise negatives quickly: main dining room meals turned back, totally inadequate Internet access, and a buffet experiment that is a work in progress. These aren't critical and perhaps just our bad luck.

We are couples from California and Ohio and for five years had celebrated our wedding anniversaries together in Maui Hawaii. This year we decided to celebrate extravagantly as none of us had ever been to Spain, France, or Italy and one of us was turning 50. We toured Portofino, Cannes, and Livorno (Pisa) on our own and saved up for the More guided tours in Rome and Naples, as arranged by Miles and Miles and this turned out to be a terrific choice indeed.

Our inside cabin was a good choice as we saved our Euros for rather expensive but worthwhile day tours in Rome And Naples. Our cabins 9122 and 9118 on the middle of Vista deck were convenient to the dining options, elevators, and casino. The rooms are well done with a smart sharp dEcor. The bed was very good but that is because we bring along a 2 inch memory foam topper wherever we go (it packs into a medium size duffle bag.) The flat panel TV mounted above the minibar with fridge (indeed a very good feature) operated well and having a channel showing the bridge cam was as good as having an ocean view portal. There was a rather noticeable white noise of whooshing air in the background at all times; not high decibel and tolerable. My guess is that these cabins are next to ventilation and engine exhaust systems. Nithuing that a pair of ear plugs could not solve and most times not bothersome. But if you need perfect silence these are not the cabins for you.

The Century is a not a grand ship of huge proportions and lacks the latest ships' ultra impressive bottom to top center atrium with glass elevators. It has noticeable new features and one would have to look very carefully to see worn out details. The most dated ship parts were the tenders which looked and felt liek well used workhorses. But the carpets and halls were spotless and the ship was odor free (most of the time but on a few occasions we did get heavy diesel whiffs.)

Speaking of odors, the Century had the best smoke free environment on any cruise we've been on! This is way up om my list of needs (okay I do ask for clean non-carcinogen air!). On my previous Celebrity experience on the Infinity I was very disappointed with the tobacco smoke always present on the balcony. Even out to sea I could smell it. But on the Century tobacco smoke was pleasantly amiss. I even frequented the casino!

The full variety meals in the buffet area are not available every day and not 24 hours. Celebrity seems to be reducing buffet options in favor of you using room service. I'm not sure I like this because I tend to be up at odd hours and don't want to bother my wife with eating in the cabin. But if this reduces waste so be it. I tend to be an early riser so I didn't have many meal options at 430AM. Oh well. The asian offerings in the buffet area were just okay; one cannot prepare asian stir fry correctly using low power skillets.

As for dining room it was good but unfortunately we had several entrees returned; in particular beef steaks that were so tough it seemed the knives were unpolished butter types.

The special dining room at $30 is very good though not as good as Carnival's Pinnacle room; which provides better ambiance and live music.

The liquor and wine prices are sky high on this cruise line but maybe that is true of all of them lately. I'm glad we saved a lot of bucks by bringing on high quality box wines and clear distilled spirits in used water bottles.

My wife says the entertainment was very good although this cruise had no banner Celebrity on board. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century 9122

9122 had constant white noise. Low decibel air or exhaust fans. Convenient to resort decks and dining. Very stable even in heavy seas.

Sandy beaches with clear blue waters can be found here. Crowds and high prices.
Read 176 Cannes Reviews

Far from center of town, train, or bus. Train to Florence can be crowded so grab a seat fast! It stops in Pisa along the way.

Picturesque, small, quaint, and easy to visit in a day's time on shore. Take the city bus to Santa Maguerita (one Euro) or water taxi 50 Euro.

So much to do so little time.

Port at Civitavecchia is not spectacular. Rome and Vatican City are simply amazing. Book your sightseeing through Miles and Miles and save half over the crusie fares.