Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by CruisinStarFish: Oh sweet Liberty!!

CruisinStarFish
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Liberty Western Caribbean Cruises

Oh sweet Liberty!!

Sail Date: September 2009

My boyfriend and I flew out of Providence to Tampa on Sept 24 and spent two fantastic nights over my dear friends house. What a great way to kick off vacation with some fun times around St. Pete to set you in the cruisin spirit. We also agree that flying down a day or so early before boarding is the key to utter relaxation and eliminates all that last minute hurried anxiety you can get from flying in on the day of.

CHECKING IN: Check in was ok. Nothing really out of the ordinary. My only complaint was all the bag handlers and the check in people. Why so crabby?! geeeez! we were snapped at by every person we encountered there. I understand they are in a hurry and are very busy but still!

ROOM: Got on board and went strait to our room to drop off things and check it out. We got in our room at about 2pm and our bags were there 20 minutes later! SWEET! Our room was great. We had a window room and was A lot larger than rooms I've had in the past. Was very clean and was More kept that way twice a day. I especially loved all the sample packs in the bathroom you get and the bed, OH!! how I wish I could have packed it along with me to take home!

FOOD: Oh man, the food!! I gained about 10 lbs! I kept my belly happy. Breakfast buffet was the typical offerings of eggs, meats, and toasts. It was good, nothing to write home about. Lunch, we usually hit the deli for fresh sandwiches that were amazing and one day we did the stir fry station which was equally very good. Pre-Dinner we always went to the sushi bar and woweee was it good! we went every night to have a few rolls and wash it down with a couple shots of saki. Dinner was had in the Silver Dining room every night. Our servers were the best, great personalities and kept us entertained. We had late dining and a table for two. The food here in the dining rooms were high class top notch. The chefs really know what they are doing and use the freshest ingredients. The only thing I didn't like on the ship was the pizza at the pizza station. It tasted uncooked kinda and not even hot but, really that was my only complaint, no big deal I just went to the grill for a delicious burger instead!

BAR: We frequented the atrium pool bar ran by our pal Vinny from St. Vincents. That area was always nice and quiet. It seemed most everyone went to the main pool. This was to our advantage because when you make a bartender friend, you always get the gooood drinks if you know what I mean so we stuck with him the entire cruise and gave him a nice tip at the end. We also very much like the Martini bar. Go when Nikki is working, that girl makes the best martini and has her own recipes not listed on the ample martini list. Just tell her what you like and she will create it!

SERVICE: Top notch! everyone we encountered was pleasant and seemed to enjoy their jobs. Everyone was always there with a smile and a hello. I also very much loved the cruise director Butch, he really is the best I've had on any cruise.

Fellow passengers: I was so happy to be able to meet a few of out fellow Cruise Critic friends on the ship. We had some good times for sure and hope to keep in touch with all of them for future fun and cruises! One complaint, not having to do with them of course was there seemed to be a large group of people we came across that were full of negativity and complaints about pretty much everything. These people had no patients in the dinning room or at the bars or anywhere for that matter. All because you are on vacation and being catered to by the staff doesn't mean you need to act like spoiled brats! Take a breath, take a chill pill! it's vacation!!! sheesh!

ALL IN ALL:The weather was picture perfect, bright blue sky, puffy clouds, and calm seas the whole week. We will be back! Liberty is a gorgeous ship! We already pre-booked our next vacation while on the ship! woo hoo!!! Less

Read more Carnival Liberty cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Liberty Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Liberty Oceanview Riviera

We had an ocean view cabin on level 1. It was HUGE! plenty of closet and drawer space with a larger than normal shower stall and bathroom.

(5.5)
Ah Cozumel! I love this port. This was my 4th time and my boyfriend's second. I don't like the new dock area and their little fenced in shopping area. It felt like I was walking into a theme park or something. But, we weren't there for shopping and touristy stuff. We grabbed a taxi van and he took us to Nachi Cocom that I had pre-booked through Island Marketing. After the $15 cab ride, plus tip we arrived down this little dirt road not knowing that beyond the buildings and bushes that an island oasis awaited us. There were maybe at most 15-20 people on the beach that day. It's all inclusive place and we thoroughly took advantage of that with yummy margaritas and FRESH FRESH food from the menu. The guacamole was to die for as well as the homemade pita chips that come with it. We also had seafood ceviche and shrimp rice. Along with fellow CC friends, warm 85 degree crystal clear waters, great food and drink, this made for a memorable day and we will book this beach day again should we dock in Cozumel in the future.

Read 3104 Cozumel Reviews

You can definitely tell this is a British colony. It is very posh and upscale metropolitan in the downtown area chock full of banks. We weren't here for that though so we hopped into a bus and had them take us to Royal Palms/Reef Grill resort. I highly recommend this FREE beach area. The bus was only $3 per person each way. The sand is like baby powder and there is plenty of shade if you need it from several large pine trees. We planted ourselves under one that was crawling with tiny cute lizards. The water here lives up to its name as the top beach in the world! It's very warm and has gentle waves, just be careful of the drop off. You can go from knee deep to shoulder deep in just a few steps. After sunning for a few hours and nice walk down to the private condo areas and exchanging fantasies of how nice it would be to drop everything and move there soon, we went to the Reef Grill for several Caybrews, the islands own beer. It was crisp and light with a lemony twist. After that, we headed back to the ship because it was an early port day and still had to catch the last tender.

1. This port makes me appreciate for what I have in life and 2. Not sure why this is a cruise stop. The place IS beautiful yet sad with so much poverty and beggars. How awful it is that this place has to be divided into barbwire fences to keep the locals out! They tried to sell you everything even through the fences! I'm usually not intimidated by going off the beaten path but this time around I was very happy to have my boyfriend there with me. We escaped by going into the cruise area and headed to Margaritaville. Normally I would avoid that place like the plague but it seemed the best option as we didn't book any tours or anything so we were on our own....or so I thought. We made our way onto this sad excuse for a beach. Also, you may think you are safe from the bead sellers here...nope, the water is fair game and they literally blocked the water way so you couldn't go for a swim without passing them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making fun of these folks, I understand what they are doing and why. I felt guilty sitting there on that beach really. BUT, on a lighter note... After a couple beers I got up some nerve and decided to venture around the corner to go over to Lobster Daves. I admit I was nervous and a little scared walking over there. It's only a few feet from Margaritaville but the walk felt like forever. One of the ladies selling beads helped us over the little fresh water stream that feeds into the ocean and sort of yelled at the locals that were sitting around eating and drinking to leave us alone because we were new to the area. For that, I bought a necklace from her in thanks. Talk about an interesting experience! Lobster Dave was so very friendly and happy to see that we wanted a local experience. I told him I only had $20 and asked him to cook us up something. He brought us THREE lobsters, jerk chicken, rice, greens, and bread fruit plus 2 beers each!! Try getting that over at Jimmy Buffet's Nest egg. We tipped him $10. Not bad for an authentic experience!