Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by BBAZ: First Timers Cruise to Cabo

First Timers Cruise to Cabo

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: San Diego

This was our first cruise. My wife and I selected Royal Caribbean based on friends' recommendations and Internet research. We selected a 5 day/4 night cruise on the Radiance of the Seas from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary.

MEALS Since this was our first cruise, we didn't know what to expect on board the ship. The meals in the Breakers Dining room were equivalent to those in a 4 or 5 star restaurant. We enjoyed meeting 3 other couples at our dining table. We also found the food served (buffet style) in the Windjammer Cafe to be top notch. The only disappointment was in the Seaview Cafe. The Reuben sandwich I ordered for lunch was below par.

STATEROOM My wife really enjoyed finding a different bath towel decoration created by the stateroom attendant in our room every night. One night it was a chicken and another night it was a swan. The accommodations in our room were better than we hoped for. We had a balcony stateroom, which we More didn't use as much as I expected. In the future, we'll probably a stateroom with a view to save money. If you don't like noise, choose a stateroom away from the center of the ship. The music from the lower levels was very loud in that area of the deck.

STAFF Our stateroom attendant was very thorough and unobtrusive. We also found the dining staff to be friendly and attentive. We only saw the head waiter the last night of the cruise when tips were handed out. I prepaid our gratuities based on the RCI's recommendation. I'd be interested in hearing from other members on how much they deviate from the recommended tipping amounts.

ENTERTAINMENT The entertainment was good. The cruise director displayed a great sense of humor. The comedian was also very funny. The singing in the musical performed the last night of the cruise was excellent. The performance of some of the dancers, however, was not exceptional.

SUMMARY Some people of the veteran cruisers met on board said the service was below what they experienced in the past with RCI. However, we found the service to be excellent, and I would definitely recommend RCI and this ship. Less

Read more Radiance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Radiance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Radiance of the Seas 7638

Quiet location and a good view from the balcony. Shower was the same size as my travel trailer's.

My review of Cabo is probably tainted by the weather the day of our port call. The temperature was 91 degrees and the humidity was 83%. Even though we're from Phoenix, we found this to be very unpleasant.

BOAT TOUR We purchased an excursion on board the ship. It consisted of a boat ride to the Arch at Lands End and a taxi ride to the other side of the bay to take photos. The boat ride was definitely worth the money. Free drinks were served and I got lots of good photos of the scenery.

TAXI RIDE The 2nd half of the excursion was a taxi ride to the other side of the bay. There was no A/C in the van, and the view from the other side of the bay wasn't worth the trip. I'd recommend taking only the boat excursion for about half the money.

DIAMOND STORE We also stopped by Diamond International. The store was greatly hyped on the first day of the cruise. My wife and I were looking to purchase a new ring. The staff at the store was very courteous, and they had a large selection of rings and diamonds. The price offered was good, but not enough to entice us to purchase in foreign country in a city far from home.