Costa Allegra Cruise Review by Ken From Kent

Cruise Date: September 2009
Embarkation: Hong Kong
Destination: Asia
Cabin Category: 4
See More About: Costa Allegra Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Costa Allegra Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Allegra Deck Plans
COSTA ALLGRA CRUISE FROM HELL
This was our 10th cruise, which was just as well, had it been our first it would have put pay to cruising for ever. So Where do I begin?

Having boarded the ship in Hong Kong on the 11th of September 2009 a day to remember, we collected our keys to Cabin 4124 when we opened the cabin door,we were greeted with a damp smell, this was due to the Carpet being soaking wet. Apperently, the ship had been through a typhoon the night before, I am still unsure how the carpet became so wet? Unless the ship lekked of cause! It was Eight days, yes, Eight Days before, this issue was resolved, we asked to be relocated and indeed offered to pay for an upgrade, but we were told in no uncertain terms by the FRont Desk Staff that there was no other cabin available.

Next Problem, We turned on the tap in the bathroom and had brown coloured water delivered by the bucket, when i queried this, i was told by the Hotel Director that ( its the chemicals we use... its quite safe) So instant sun tan...

Then as a hat trick the A/C never worked properly, delivering a blistering.... but consatant 24.6o ( this was the engineers test result) abient temparature with no individual control... we assumed this had been disconected

The food in the main Restaraunt was either luke warm or cold.. Some of the meat dishes were so dry and tough we assumed caused by over microwaving the food

The Self Service Buffet was uneventful and poor quality also, the area was dirty with sticky tables, again explained to me as a product of the storm... an excuse the ships management used constantly, this wore a bit thin after two weeks!!

The entertainment... I have heard and seen better Kareoke singers drunk out of their brains, than the rubish we were subjected too. Accept in fairness that is, for two Chinese Acrobats and an Iranian Mime Artist both acts were good.

Also be careful what you wear, My Partner was stopped from using then the only available toliet on Deck SIX ( the other was out of action due tio the storm) for being inaproproperly dressed, She was told, and I Quote, (Sorry Madam, you cannot use the toliet we have a cocktail party going on )

When arriving in Singapore we were isssued with pre completed immigration arrival cards, only problem was 1) It listed the last port of call as Ho Che Minh City, we had not even been there yet!! 2) both the passort numbers listed for my Partner and I were wrong! We were told by the Pursers office (don't worry, not a problem you will be OK) Oh Yeah... that is a legal document, My Partner and I had no wish to languish in a Singapore Jail for making a false declaration..

As for the Staff, well the Chinese and general staff were great, but the management is the poorest i have ever had the misfortune to meet.

My suggestion to you reading this review... If your only choice is the Costa Allegra... then DON'T, Get a rowing Boat and sail naked accross the atlantic single handed with a bottle of rum in hand you will have a far better time.. trust me..

Ken Mulley, A fan of Cruising