“Grandma & 16 year old granddaughter”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas

ORCRUISER Voyager of the Seas 5 Grandma & 16 year old granddaughter
ORCRUISER
Member Since 2008
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We loved this cruise. I thought the lines at embarkation were a little long but our cabin was available almost immediately. We had sailed on a sister ship Mariner of the seas before so the layout was fairly similar. We thought the cabin was fine although I like the more open feel of the balcony on my last NCL cruise...just personal preference. We ate all dinners in the dining room and thought it was fine. We ate all breakfasts in Windjammer and again fine. We did not eat many lunches on board as we were touring most days. Did Johnny Rockets once and we really loved the atmosphere and the burgers were great.

As for shore excursions...my biggest recommendation is Private Tours. We used Romeinlino for the three ports in Italy and they were SUPER. We hired private guides at Pompeii and the Vatican. We made our tour group arrangements through new friends we met here on Cruise Critic and it worked out great. Two days we were with 5 others, a group of 7, so that helped keep the cost down and two days there were just five of us total so the cost was a little higher. For the limited time you have in each port the private tour is the way to go. In France we did a private tour in Villefranche and it was also great. In Marseilles we did a shuttle to town and a Hop On Hop Off tour and did not enjoy ourselves. Went back to the ship early. There was no interest in the type of tour I wanted and I tried to book a shore excursion through the ship but it was canceled due to lack of interest. I wish we had done at least a half day tour through the ship.

A couple of problems with the ship were minor. Our in cabin phone room had a few glitches but they gave me a free call to home in Oregon because it wouldn't go through directly. Also the internet is slow...as expected but also unreliable. I did put this in reviews to the cruise line.

Getting off the ship was OK but getting a taxi was HORRIBLE. There must be some way to make this go better. I also might recommend arranging private transport. I don't know how much more expensive this would be but the wait was really bad.

This cruise was not relaxing due to the intense number and quality of ports but am I glad we went? YES, LOVED IT. It will be something my granddaughter and I will remember foreverl

Voyager of the Seas Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Port
LOVED Barcelona! Did two days pre-cruise and one day post-cruise and could have spent another day easily. Did the two day Hop On Hop Off bus and it worked well. Gaudi architecture is amazing. Don't miss the Park Guell! The walk up the hill is worth it.

Read 1,369 Barcelona Reviews
Romeinlimo tour of Pisa and Florence. Just a quick photo stop in Pisa. Had been there before so this was OK. Great tour of Florence including short stop at the Academia to see David. Romeinlimo made our reservations so no wait.

Port
Did a Hop On Hop Off tour. It was hot and we didn't do any Hopping Off til the end. Wish we had done a tour of some sort. It was a disappointment for the last day but we were very tired.

Port
Romeinlimo with private tour of Pompeii. Also short time at Sorrento and Positano. Absolutely terrific.

Read 981 Naples Reviews
Port
Private tour. Can't think of the name but a great tour. Did Eze and another village plus Monaco and Monte Carlo and the Nice flower market. Didn't have time for the casino but we did a very quick tour through the palace.

Read 113 Nice Reviews
Published 10/04/09
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Voyager of the Seas Review
Voyager of the Seas Cruises to the Western Mediterranean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?