Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by hollic21: FUN IN THE SUN

FUN IN THE SUN

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

This was our third cruise, second on Carnival. We chose the Splendor, because Carnival gave us a great deal on a Suite with VIP priveleges. We flew into Long Beach the night before, and stayed at the Hotel Maya which is less than a mile from the port. Beautiful hotel, right on the Harbor, and it is great to wake up and see your boat ported, and ready for you to get on! Took a taxi to the port, got VIP check-in, and was sitting on the Lido deck in less than 15 minutes with a DOD!!!

Plenty of food to go around, but let me tell you that being that I am one that doesn't eat alot, there is more food than one could possibly want. The boat is beautiful, yes, it is very mauvy, with lots of copper, but who cares, it is clean and new, and are you there for the decor? After awhile, it grows on you, so no need for people to complain.

As I mentioned, we had a suite, and it was fabulous! Plenty of room to walk around, lots and I mean lots of storage space, tons of drawers, two More closets, two sinks in the bathroom with granite counter tops, and even a whirlpool bath, which I indulged in quite frequently. The balcony was somewhat small, but just enough room to indulge in a cocktail and enjoy the beautiful water. Our room steward Allen was awesome, cleaned our room shortly after we left, and always left a cute towel animal every night. These guys work very hard, and I feel sorry for them getting pennies for what they do.

First two days were at sea. Strolled the boat, met many nice people, and just soaked up the sun as well as the drinks. Ron at the piano bar is amazing! Sure knows how to work the crowd. Was sick for two days, but we sure partied hard thereafter. For all you guys we met singing with Ron, (you know who you are), thank you for being the highlight of our cruise.!!! Ron, you are awesome, and I know Carnival will miss you. Enjoy P.V.

Dining; I do not like the early or late dining. 5:15 is too early for us, and by 8:15 we are starving. They should just do open dining, that way when you are ready to eat you can go, and not have to sit with the same people all the time, (whom are not very much fun). Food was good. I am not a gourmet eater, so to me it was fine. I don't know why people complain all the time about the food, yes it is not 5 star, but cooking for over 3500 people isn't that easy! Ate at the Pinnacle for our anniversary on Wednesday, fabulous service and more food than I can eat in a week!!! Sasha, you were great!!! For thirty dollars a person, and a five course meal, it is well worth the money. I would recommend this restaurant for its ambience, service and the quality of the food.

Puerta Vallarta: Hot and humid! We took an ATV excursion, booked through WildATV tours via internet, and had a great time. It was only the two of us and our guide, and he took us deep into the jungles, saw beautiful waterfalls, rode through the river and even stopped at a place out of nowhere for a cerveza. The only downfall, was that the villages we went through our so deeply poor and depressing, as well as garbage everywhere. It makes you feel sad that kids, etc. have to live in these conditions. Must have lost 10 pounds of sweat, but overall a great time.

Mazaltan: Again, sad and depressing. Don't do any of the excursions as they are not worth it. We just did a little shopping, and sat in the cantina with a bunch of other people, drank, sweated, danced and had a great time, again (you guys know who you are). Alas, another 10 pounds of sweat lost, and a shower never felt so good!

Cabo San Lucas: Next ones to get on the tender, and lo and behold, doors closed and then came the storm. Maybe it was meant to be, because I felt bad for the people still on the island, seeing the boat pull away out of the storm, and wondering how they are going to get back. Never did go ashore, but Carnival made sure everyone got back on the boat safe. At least I got to see some drama at the pool. Several girls (large) wrestling, drinking and carrying on, one made a comment to a cute girls boyfriend and the cat fight began. It was appalling that people can act this way, and embarass themselves like they did. I guess too much tequila, and too much fun. It was cute when everyone clapped when they were escorted out, made the day a whole lot more enjoyable.

People: I am not an elitist by no means, yes, I like nice things but most of all I am respectful and have manners and class. On this ship, there were minimal of the aforementioned above. People in the buffet lines, with there big hairy chests and no shirt on, yuk!!! Do I want to eat food that your hairy chest is bending over on, do you have no class at all!! Old men in speedos, fat bellies, again no shirts in the Lido, yuk, again. People running you down just to get in the elevators, hey, are you on that much of a time schedule and can't wait a minute? Morbidly obese people that could barely walk, cutting in front of you to get more food, do you really need it? Or what about the guy running you down on his scooter. C'mon people, it might be a cheap cruise, but have some class. If it's elegant night, dress nice, do you not know what elegant means????? And most annoying of all, GOOSE the cruise director. Do you have to be on the loudspeaker with your obnoxious tone all the time? It gets on ones nerves after awhile.

Disembarking was a piece of cake, no more to say than that. Spent one relaxing day at the Hotel Maya in Long Beach, drank a few more mojitos, then back to Arizona to start paying for the bar bill.

All in all, we had a great time, met some very nice people, (who had class may I say)and will cruise Carnival again. Thanks to everyone whom made our journey a great experience. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>