Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by PrivateEye: Wet & Beautiful

Wet & Beautiful

Sail Date: August 2009
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

We went with my husbands family, his mother and father (75), his aunt & uncle (60s), his sister and her husband (50s) and ourselves (50s). First time on Norwegian Cruise Line and first time to Alaska. DO NOT FORGET to pick up the Alaska coupon booklets before you embark.

Balcony Stateroom: We were pretty smart, all were AFT, ours on Starboard AFT, 2 AFT and 1 on Port side AFT. We would run from room to room for views and to see whales.

Our room steward was the laziest one I've ever had and we've cruised about 8 times. The other three cabins shared a fabulous steward and we got gumby!!! We got chocolates once, an animal towel once and we found the ice machine ourselves. Worst ever.

Dining: Somehow the desserts were a let down and I'm a big dessert eater. The meals were mostly fine, however, the one night we ordered turkey we got pressed turkey. On a cruise ship??????? What's with that? We didn't try any of the specialty restaurants because we feel More we've paid to eat free.

All in all we had a pretty good cruise. I wasn't impressed with NCL but that's what one bad room steward can do to your opinion I guess. We'll definitely try them again as the price can't be beat. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 8076

Good closet space, however, because we had a huge balcony there was less storage in our cabin than #8078. I think I'd rather have the smaller balcony and more storage. It was over the Stardust Lounge Balcony and it was noisy as the speakers were hung on the ceiling right below us. Not a bright idea if you ask me. Bed was comfortable, bedding lovely. I can't comment on the "Elemis products" because we never could get our steward to give us any!!!!!

Chilly and raining again off and on but no wind. First, we took a bus to Mendenhall Glacier and it was worth the trek in the rain. It would be much better on a sunny day I'm sure, as it was misty and not clear. We went back to town on a bus called "The Wrong Bus" they have a sense of humour those locals. Stopped in at the Red Dog Saloon for a warm you up drink and then gave our table to my in-laws and aunt and uncle. Took lots of pics.

Glacier Bay: The sun came out in the afternoon just for us I think. It was sunny and clear and absolutely breath taking. We saw two or three whales in different places, you have to watch for their spouts. We took lots and lots of pictures of the blue ice. The captain took us right in Tracy Arm and turned around and took us back out so it doesn't really matter which side of the ship you're on.

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Definitely the BEST port to shop in. It was cold and raining hard and the wind was blowing my umbrella sideways but we walked into town and trudged to the stores. We bought reversible raincoats/fleece with Alaska on them for $19.99 US, best deal we found. Bought some costume jewellery and small gifts. I found a lovely dress shop on a side street and found some really nice clothes. The guys went to a brewery or something and enjoyed themselves. We then walked to Creek Street and did see some salmon, neat little shops and the old "Red Light House".

The In-Laws took the White Pass and Yukon train ride and loved it. We just walked around in the rain to Broadway Street which is lined with gold rush buildings. Stopped in at a diner for a hot drink and decided to head back to the ship because we were really cold and wet. We'd had enough of rain for awhile.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews

We stayed in Vancouver for 3 nights and our hotel was right at the Hop On Hop Off stop and only a few blocks from the harbour cafes. The sun came out and stayed out the entire time we were there. I would recommend staying and seeing the sights in Vancouver. It's the easy walking city I've ever visited.