“Oh the Vibration”

tnincy
Member Since 2009
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
My husband and I just returned from a cruise aboard Carnival's Freedom. It was booked in celebration of our 3 year anniversary. What was supposed to be a nice, romantic and relaxing week, was anything but. To our dismay, after the first night, we discovered that our room was located right over the disco. This caused our walls and floor to vibrate until late in the night. Given the club has no specified time to close, this went on until 4:00am on some mornings, preventing us from sleeping. This continued for the entire week and nothing was done to lower the volume of the club. I called Guest Services the first night to inquire about the situation. At that time, there was nothing they could do because the cruise was booked and there was no way to relocate our room. We know for a fact that we were not the only ones to complain. After our second complaint, we were provided some compensation, consisting of a 20% credit of our cruise fare, as well as, 15% off a future cruise. This is in no way nearly enough compensation for what we dealt with while on board.

Due to the fact that our sleeping had to take place after the club closed, we did not fully enjoy any of our ports or excursions due to lack of sleep. We found ourselves getting back on board just to try to take a nap before the club started up at 7:00pm for Latin Dance or Motown Mixers. On some days the club would even open at random times of the afternoon. This prevented any possibility of naps because the club was yet again wide open and vibrating the floors and walls. So, not only did we lose sleep at night, a nap was out of the question as well. The only time we got any sleep was while in port.

After the first two nights, we had no choice but to just deal with the club. Like the saying goes, "If you can't beat them, join them." We tried to make the most of the situation at hand, but as the week went on, the club became progressively louder. To add insult to injury, on several nights, after 2:00am, my husband walked down to the club to see how busy it was. On those nights, he found 20-30 people in there. This is less than 1% of the nearly 3,000 people who were on the ship. For them, we lost a lot of sleep and didn't get to fully experience the cruise as we have in the past. On the last cruise we took, on the Inspiration in March of 2009, the club closed around 2:00am, whether there was 20 people or 100 people in there.

By the last night of the cruise we were exhausted, aggravated and angry. I called Guest Services, again and asked, " Is it to much to ask that I get one descent night of sleep before we disembarked and have to drive 5 hours across the state of Florida?" At that point, I pulled a blanket and pillow out to the balcony and tried sleeping there. Unfortunately you could hear the club over what should have been the tranquil sounds of the ocean.

There was no way to tune out the level of noise in our room. We even tried turning on the television and increasing the volume, but didn't want to add to the aggravation we knew our neighbors were experiencing as well. Guest Services provided earplugs... FYI...they don't work and the pillows on the bed only amplify the bass coming from the club.

I cannot believe that this has not been brought to Carnival's attention before now. I would have thought with the revenue Carnival brings in, they would have gone to greater lengths to ensure the club and the cabins above it were soundproofed. I had thought that Carnival would make EVERY effort to ensure that ALL passengers get the same quality cruise.

Aside from what I have written above, I have always held Carnival in the highest regard. The level of service and hospitality cannot be beat. It is also the best value. My husband and I met on a cruise, married on one and have never had anything negative to say. We are a little put off by what we experienced and a little surprised it was not handled in a better manner.

Carnival Freedom Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

6-406
The cabin 6-406 and the ones on each side of it are located directly over the Disco. The walls and floors vibrate until the Disco closes. Great view from balcony. Being on the 6th floor, you can really hear the ocean when your are outside.
Published 09/23/09
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Freedom Review
Carnival Freedom Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?