“Starting at the Top”

hjames2 Mariner of the Seas 5 Starting at the Top
hjames2
Member Since 2009
Overall Member Rating
I'll treat cruising as I do going to the beach. If I can't afford oceanfront, I'll go half as often. After speaking with other cruisers on Regent Seven Seas, if I can't go first class, I will go less often.

We flew to Anchorage, stayed overnight and transferred to Seward via 2 1/2hr motorcoach driven by an hysterical historian. What a trip. On the way we passed a hamlet called Moose Pass. The driver told of the town father's fighting the establishment of a filling station in town because they didn't want a sign in town that said: "Moose Pass Gas"..

It got better from there where Regent had everything well organized including the weather which shone on us every day after three weeks of clouds and rain. What luck!! Our first top was the Hubbard Glacier and the Capt. stopped the ship and turned it around and around so all could see this magnificent site. And a huge chunk calved off right on cue.

Next was Sitka, the capital of Russian America in the 1850's. Quaint little town and fun to walk around. Skagway next with the steam train up to Canada. All the while, the service on the ship, mostly Filipino couldn't be more accomodating and the food, outstanding. Our stateroom was 360 feet w/ walkin closet, dressing table, and private deck. Wow.

Juneau was interesting because we took the helicopter to the glaciers, but I'm tiring of all the tourist traps at the dock and several streets in. Seems the state capital could be a little more dignified. Ketchikan was last and the seaplanes taking off in the harbor were like Grand Central Station.

The food on and off the ship couldn't have been better. Being a fish lover, the fresh salmon, halibut and king crab, to die for, were GREAT.

Disembarking in Vancouver was a breeze. Regent and customs down cold, signs directing us every step of the way, through US customs and on the plane in a flash. Very well organized.

Can't wait to go again and on Regent.

Mariner of the Seas Cruises to Alaska
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

c914
914 was near the elevator, so no hallway noise and very convenient. 360 ft, plenty of room. the internet was slow

Port
See above, expected more of the capital of Alaska. Should have taken a cab away from the docks to see more of the real city. Maybe next time.
Read 1,108 Juneau Reviews
Port
Small town of 800 where ship docks next to the train up the mtn. Quite a place where the Yukon gold diggers started their 500 mile journet. Quaint.
Read 831 Skagway Reviews
Port
Port is in downtown. Clean, well-kept, roads could be improved. The winter olympics this coming Feb could be a challenge. See above
Published 09/23/09
Read Cruise Critic’s Mariner of the Seas Review
Mariner of the Seas Cruises to Alaska
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?