Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by Thoth: From the Big Apple to New England/Canada

Thoth
Member Since 2004
5,061 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Canada & New England Cruises

From the Big Apple to New England/Canada

Sail Date: September 2009
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

On 12 September 2009 I sailed on the Triumph to New England/Canada. The only negatives I can relate was the transportation issues getting to the ship from the airport. Even though I purchased Carnival's air, I was left behind in LaGuardia airport. Lucky for me the NYC cab drivers are proficient in offensive driving with haste. I made the ship with minutes to spare ! The New York terminal functioned quit efficiently and courteously once I arrived. Debarkation was easy enough. Sailing from Manhattan is quit the thrill with more landmarks than one can count. If you have sailed one Destiny or Conquest class vessel then you have pretty much seen them all, but the Triumph does possess her own personality to a point. With the exception of one odd chandelier in the Rome show lounge, the ship is tastefully decorated I thought. The food in the dining room is standardized Carnival menu...tasty but nothing unique. One night we had open seating dining due to late port time in Boston. Based on this More muddle it would be advisable for Carnival to stick to assigned seating's such as 6 &8 and not become all open seating such as Norwegian. There entertainment was wonderful by my standards/taste. There was nearly always some great live music performed, plus some real cheeky music as karaoke when I sang. There a spell binding magic show and a hypnotist as well as live comedy. The two production shows reiterates what great entertainment Carnival presents. The first show's theme was a trip around the world's great cities, the second was a tribute to ironically enough New Orleans...the Triumph's next home. Without a doubt, this cruise line jumps through many hoops in order to entertain its guest. For one thing the high energy special effects simply blew me away. WOW!

Ports of call were Boston, Portland ME, Saint John NB, and Halifax NS. All were wonderful places to visit. In Boston I visited Lexington/Concord & Harvard where I was impressed by historical ambiance of the architecture. In Portland I took the ship tour up to New Hampshire's Mount Washington. New England seems to be one picture perfect town after another. The people of Canada's Atlantic Provinces were perhaps the most gregarious of any ports of call that I have visited. It was a mutual pleasure conversing with the locals in both New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. Out of Saint John, I toured Fundy National Park where the world's highest tides can reach 39 feet. Halifax needs no shore excursion having so much within walking distance. The hill-top fortress and board walked waterfront are worthwhile. I did take a bus ride out to Peggy's Cove which is lovely beyond words. All things considered, I can highly recommend both the Triumph and the New England/Canada itinerary. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Upper/Lower Upper 6226

6226 is an inside with a double bed ans sofa. I found it ideal for a solo traveler.